Farewell Concert [DVD] Review

artist: Cream date: 06/19/2007 category: compact discs
Cream: Farewell Concert [DVD]
Release Date: October 4, 2005
Cream's 2005 reunion (after a mere 37 years apart) was big news and a very hot ticket. But anyone wondering what the fuss was all about is unlikely to get much enlightenment from Cream - Farewell Concert.
 Content: 9.5
 Production Quality: 7
 8.1
 8.6
 7.6
Farewell Concert [DVD] Reviewed by: NY773, on november 06, 2006

Sound: The Cream sound as cohesive as ever. Eric Clapton plays at the top of his game, with intriguing solos and beautiful riffs. Jack Bruce is a little sporatic singing-wise, but it's a sign that he's trying to have some fun. His basslines are terrific and blend well into the band's sound. Ginger Baker is fantastically masterful on the double-bass drum, and puts together incredible beats for his bandmates to follow. The overall sound quality of the songs themselves, however, leaves a little to be desired. // 8

Overall Impression: I've seen some of the "May 2-3-5-6, 2005" concert, and that has much better production. But that's forgivable, it was 1968 and that one was 2005. I loved the sound of the music. It'll sound stupid to say this, but I couldn't get enough of the interviews. When you see these giants of rock music being told to demonstrate some of their techniques and hear their thoughts on the world, you'll be impressed. I obviously wasn't satisfied with the production quality. If it were stolen or lost, I'd probably end up buying it again, but not before I bought the Reunion concerts DVD. // 8

Farewell Concert [DVD] Reviewed by: JustinYap, on june 19, 2007

Sound: I have always been a big fan of Cream, and this was of course, their last concert in Britain together as Cream. The sound is as good as it can get out of a recording from the '60s (the concert was recorded in 1968). Cream are a loud, psychedelic, rock n roll band, and the DVD, I think, captures the sound and energy of the band beautifully. Unfortunately though, this concert is slightly below the high standard of the band's live performances due to the friction between Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker accumulated over the non-stop touring. But nonetheless, this is a great example of the improvisational masterpieces these three men are capable of creating. // 10

Overall Impression: This really is value for money. To me, the show itself was the best part. One thing I didn't like was the narrator, Robert Stingwood, I don't like his commentary. And also the way he asked questions in the interviews. This DVD is definitely worth buying if you're a fan of '60s rock. // 9

Comments