Royal Albert Hall - London May 2-3-5-6 2005 [DVD] review by Cream

• Released: Oct 4, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Cream: Royal Albert Hall - London May 2-3-5-6 2005 [DVD]

In this DVD, Cream proves they still are true rock gods. They may sound a little older (they're all 60+ years old now), but their playing has matured greatly since they broke up in 1968. All three of them had great tones coming from their amps and drum kits. The music was top-notch, even though they didn't launch into a 20 minute jams (which I think is makes their music today better, because attention spans have gotten much shorter over the years). The music is bluesy throughout the whole DVD and it shows the three, in my opinion, at a point equal to their careers in the original Cream. I love every song they put on this DVD, and the way the songs hold up in today's world.

Content — 10
This DVD features songs from the Cream reunion concerts at the Royal Albert Hall in early May 2005. It is both a live concert DVD and a "Best Of" collection. The band plays most of their best songs, like "White Room," "Spoonful," "Crossroads," and of course, "Sunshine Of Your Love." The performances are culled from 4 nights of music, and there are alternate performances of "Sleepy Time Time," "We're Going Wrong," and "Sunshine Of Your Love." They even play "Stormy Monday," a song Cream had never played before. Their set list was awesome!! The only song that they should've done was "Tales of Brave Ulysses," and maybe "SWLABR." Their are also interviews with Eric, Jack, and Ginger about Cream in the past and Cream in the present.

Production Quality — 10
The production quality of this DVD is excellent. The picture is perfectly clear, as is the sound. The cameramen also got some good camera angles during the performances. There is one part in a song (sorry, don't remember which one) in which the camera is shaking and out of focus for a few seconds, but that's not a problem.

OMG, this DVD is the best concert DVD of 2005! Each performance on the film proves that Cream is still one of the best bands to play music. The instrumental interplay proves they are still in touch with each other musically, even after 37 years of being separated. I love everything about this DVD and if it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again so fast peoples' heads would spin.

VFrules
    cream is the greatest live band ever, and even at their age they are still better than everybody out there!
    x8DisturbeD8x
    I have the DVD and it's quite good. They might be old but they can still play quite well...
    Cobalt Blue
    it's a really good DVD and CD. my only complaint is Jack Bruce can't hit some high notes anymore. and clapton didn't use any wah on white room... and white room just isn't the same without the wah...
    claptonfan55
    To Cobalt Blue: I agree with you on Jack Bruce's voice and Clapton's "White Room" solo. But you can't deny that they both kicked ass anyway.
    jcs5234
    they play white room just like they did back in the 60's except that clapton didnt noodle as much and there was no wah. the base is exactly the same so just use whatever white room tabs there are now. its a really easy song anyway you should be able to figure it out yourself. i really liked the version of outside woman blues on this dvd