Full Circle review by Creed

• Released: Oct 26, 2009
Creed: Full Circle

Creed have been gone for some 7 years, and in that time the music world has carried on without them. But, just like when they first broke into the scene all those many years ago, they are back, with some would say more to prove. The break up was bitter, fans were left confused, and critics all breathed a sigh of 'I told you so'. But here we stand today, with the new dawn of Creed, so does this new offering deliver? Well the album kicks off with Overcome, which I'm sure we've all heard by now and passed our own opinion, it's a decent track, and deffinity a middle finger up to all the doubters. Bread of Shame feels like old school Creed, hard, somewhat grungy, deffinitly nothing like they left us with on Weathered. At this point I was worried that this new Creed had taken the wrong direction, but then my fears were put aside by A Thousand Faces. I prefer the live version, the album version is a little slower and mellow, but nonetheless, a great track. This album is really one of 2 halves, the first half feels a little awkard, it's like when you first arrive at a party full of old friends or a college reunion, it's a little uncomfortable. But from track 6 onwards it's a stella performance. Stand out tracks on the second half for me are Away In Silence, On My Sleeve, and The Song You Sing. But to be honest I have no complaints from track 6 onward. The album is a good mix of hard and soft, and there really should be something for everyone.

Bad times bring the best lyrics, and this is no exception on Full Circle. The lyrics are honest, heart felt, and followers of the band will be able to determine the meaning of every single one. Scott Stapp has many critics, but the man can write lyrics that make you put a fist in the air, and a lump in your throat, and that is no mean acheivement. His voice has lost a little bit of growl from the times of old, but there is a smooth tone now present. By no means has he lost his edge though, o.k, he may not have the biggest range, but he uses what he has so well, and there is something about his voice that makes me feel happy on the inside. It brings back happy memories, his voice was the soundtrack to my early teen life, and to have it back in my ears as a young adult is something I never would of seen a year ago.

Well, I had high hopes for this album, and I though they might not be met, then I listed to Away In Silence, and I just sat back and smiled, the band I loved and thought had gone were back, and they were proving themselves good all over again. Compared to Weathered this album is more balanced, Weathered will always be a special album, but Full Circle is a fitting return, and it really is excellent. Last year, Creed were just a happy memory, hated by many, loved by many, and although I was exited at the thought of a reunion, I was worried that they wouldn't quite be the same. I was wrong, yes, this is 7 years on, the music world has changed, but no one came and filled the void Creed left, which allowed them to sink back in and rock it out all over again. Old fans will be happy, new fans will love it, critics will love to hate it. Ahh, doesn't it feel like the good old days.