Full Circle review by Creed

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Oct 26, 2009
  • Sound: 7
  • Lyrics: 9
  • Overall Impression: 8
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8.7 (132 votes)
Creed: Full Circle
0

Sound — 7
Creed has returned with their fourth studio album entiteled "Full Circle," and it's a rocky road listen. There are a few gem tracks and a few duds. No doubt about it. What's evident in these boys' sound on this CD? Well, first and foremost, Tremonti owns as usual, though not to the extent he is allowed to with Alter Bridge. Marshall is non-existent as is every modern rock bassist in existence. Scott Phillips has more talent than he is allowed to showcase. Having seen him live, I know this is fact. Scott Stapp? Well he's Scott Stapp. Over the top, tries to do too much, but still is the focal point of the band, unfortunately. This CD is better than Weathered, but that isn't hard to accomplish. However, it doesn't touch My Own Prison and is hardly comparable to Human Clay. This is just a good band's fourth album. It's not some all-out return to form that many of Creed's early fans thirst for. There are a couple in-your-face heavy tracks, but Human Clay and Weathered also contained these tracks in What If, Higher, Bullets, and Freedom Fighter. The standouts, as usual, are the tracks that have balance.

Lyrics — 9
The lyrics are typical Creed lyrics, though it is easily decipherable that there are two lyricists/writers within this band. Singing? Scott Stapp is Scott Stapp. Not as much natural talent as say, someone like Myles Kennedy, but better overall tone and much easier to listen to. He tries to do too much at times, such as the end of "Good Fight" where he uses some stupid vocal styling that sounds like a broken record. The lyrics are fine and the music enhances them, since both aspects fit together wonderfully.

Overall Impression — 8
Once again, the only Creed album that Full Circle defeats is Weathered, which was weak despite a few tracks. "Full Circle" has some solid tracks and some weak sauce tracks, which is why I will review each: 01. Overcome: heaviest track on the album. Catchy as hell and a very uplifting song that does the trick when one is down. Love it. 02. Bread of Shame: what is this? Weak. Weak. Weak. Three cheers for weak. Get the picture? This song is not very good. 03. A Thousand Faces: tied for best track on the album with "Time." Excellent. Great lyrics and vocals and a wonderful ending solo. I could listen to this over and over again. 04. Suddenly: pretty good song. Not necessarily a standout but solid nonetheless. 05. Rain: catchy but poppy, which weakens its overall effect. Why did these boys let this happen? it's just a radio-rock hit, which disappoints me. 06. Away In Silence: Scott wrote it for his wife when she was going to leave him. I wish writing a song could fix everyone else's problems too. It's an OK track, but nothing excellent. 07. Fear: fairly solid, but nothing spectacular. 08. On My Sleeve: love this song. It's powerful and catchy. Not as good as the top two tracks but good nonetheless. 09. Full Circle: solid song with a good solo. I'm glad that Mark got to solo on quite a few tracks though the tracks that don't contain a solo are definitely weaker than the others with the exception of "Time." 10. Time: this song is epic. Great lyrics, great chorus and great musicianship will always own. Great composition. Wonderful song. 11. Good Fight: OK song. Nice solo. Scott does some stupid vocal thing at the end which weakened the track considerably. 12. The Song You Sing: pretty good track. Mark shines again with a solo, as he should being the most talented member of the band. Overall: Full Circle is solid but still doesn't touch their two earlier albums. Fans should just be happy that Creed is back and didn't release a terrible album.

39 comments sorted by best / new / date

    sykryk
    The first reviewer clearly has issue with Scott Stapp, and refers to Tremonti/ Phillips as being 'not allowed' to showcase their talents. Did the reviewer find out that someone told them not to play their best, or was their approach to the benefit of the song, rather than musical masturbation? Whilst the comparisons to Alter Bridge are inevitable, Creed is a different animal.
    raviction
    raviction wrote: Kellen your crazy. Myles can't sing at all. He's the weakest link in Alter Bridge. If it wasn't for him, the band would be amazing instead of mediocre. The reason why people love alterbridge is because there is no weak link in the band. Myles is a great vocalist and guitarist, he has got an amazing vocal range, he can sing upto 4 octaves. I am sure scott would find it hard to reach even the 2nd octave. Myles's vocal brilliance can be heard on Find The Real and many other AB songs. I hate it when people talk without having sufficient knowledge about the subject.
    MasterOfCows
    slayerisntmusic wrote: jtalep wrote: slayerisntmusic wrote: I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that. How can you say the band mates weren't passionate about Alter Bridge? And Alter Bridge is just solo after solo after solo? Bull crap! Yeah, there's a solo in every song, but it usually doesn't last more than like, 20 seconds. 'Yeah, there's a solo in every song', point proven How is that point proven?! If you want solo after solo after solo listen to Dragon Force. You make it sound like Alter Bridge is just ego masturbation for Tremonti, but it's not. Every solo in Alter Bridge elevates the song in one way or another.
    Agreed. jtalep, you're a dumbass. There's nothing wrong with a lot of guitar solos that have feeling, which is what Mark does.
    Deadcell34
    jtalep wrote: slayerisntmusic wrote: I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that. How can you say the band mates weren't passionate about Alter Bridge? And Alter Bridge is just solo after solo after solo? Bull crap! Yeah, there's a solo in every song, but it usually doesn't last more than like, 20 seconds. 'Yeah, there's a solo in every song', point proven
    I'm convinced that neither one of you even listen to Alter Bridge. Only about half of their songs have solos. Lets see: Metalingus, In Loving Memory, Watch Your Words, Shed My Skin, The End Is Here, Coming Home, One By One, Watch Over You, Break Me Down, White Knuckles all don't have a solo in them. That's 10 songs (and it really should be 11 since Before Tomorrow Comes doesn't really have a solo but the ending is solo-ish). I can't remember if "Save Me" has a solo or not but I'm thinking it doesn't. Anyways, point proven. A little over half of their songs have solos but nowhere close to all of them.
    axeslinger0u812
    You guys are all crazy. Guitar solos are weak. I mean, only the lamest players solo. Eddie van halen, Hendrix, vai, satch, Stevie Ray, page, rhoads, dimebag, b.b. King, slash, tremonti...they suck. Solo, solo, solo. Ugh. Ps; sarcasm. I'll take a band who plays leads over one who doesn't 99% of the time, because it keeps me interested. A good solo, in my opinion, can be the climax of the song. I mean, not the biggest slash fan, but when that sweet child of mine solo kicks in, man... Epic. Or Eddie on hot for teacher...or any good instrumental by vai and satch. It can elevate a song, or create such a build in a section of the song, that it's just...powerful. And for the record, alter bridge isn't solo after solo. There are maybe four or five on their first album, and five or six on the second...and it's not all about tremonti either, as Myles Kennedy plays the first solo of blackbird. I love that tremonti is constantly pushing his playing, and growing.
    Jhenri
    I don't understand how you guys can say you lost respect for Mark because he said creed would never get back together and then they did. Is it that hard to understand that time heals all wounds, I mean I'm sure he meant it when he said it but like the song full circle says "it's funny how times can change and rearrange distance makes the pain fade away so important then...doesn't matter now"
    jtalep
    At the end of the day the reason why we all argue about which band is better is because both bands are great, and we as fans are passionate about them. I prefer Creed because they are the band I grew up listening to, and I never really connected with AB, but there are a lot of people that have and thats kewl.
    raviction
    Kellen your crazy. Myles can't sing at all. He's the weakest link in Alter Bridge. If it wasn't for him, the band would be amazing instead of mediocre. The reason why people love alterbridge is because there is no weak link in the band. Myles is a great vocalist and guitarist, he has got an amazing vocal range, he can sing upto 4 octaves. I am sure scott would find it hard to reach even the 2nd octave. Myles's vocal brilliance can be heard on Find The Real and many other AB songs. I hate it when people talk without having sufficient knowledge about the subject.
    raviction
    Joz104 wrote: Kellen your crazy. Myles can't sing at all. He's the weakest link in Alter Bridge. If it wasn't for him, the band would be amazing instead of mediocre.
    The reason why people love alterbridge is because there is no weak link in the band. Myles is a great vocalist and guitarist, he has got an amazing vocal range, he can sing upto 4 octaves. I am sure scott would find it hard to reach even the 2nd octave. Myles's vocal brilliance can be heard on Find The Real and many other AB songs. I hate it when people talk without having sufficient knowledge about the subject.
    Joz104
    Kellen your crazy. Myles can't sing at all. He's the weakest link in Alter Bridge. If it wasn't for him, the band would be amazing instead of mediocre.
    Stone Agean
    Myles just has an incredibly generic vocal tone. I don't care how many octaves he can sing if he doesn't sing them in a way that's memorable.
    kellen.dobmeier
    Haha, Myles not better than Scott is a hilarious idea. He's way better. Hell, I'll even take Tremonti over Scott. I don't think Scott could hold the notes Mark does in A Thousand Eyes. Scott ain't half the musician Mark is and that's just common knowledge.
    D4CE
    Tremonti has a solo in every song? Have you actually listenened to a complete AB Album? what about songs as metalingus, in loving memory, watch over you, break you down, white knuckles, broken wings, shed my skin, coming home, one by one.. Offcourse myles is a better singer as scott.. everyone who has ears and listened to live version of rain agrees with me
    Joz104
    D4CE wrote: Tremonti has a solo in every song? Have you actually listenened to a complete AB Album? what about songs as metalingus, in loving memory, watch over you, break you down, white knuckles, broken wings, shed my skin, coming home, one by one.. Offcourse myles is a better singer as scott.. everyone who has ears and listened to live version of rain agrees with me
    Is the intro at the beginning of In Loving Memory not a Tremonti solo?
    D4CE
    Joz104 wrote: D4CE wrote: Tremonti has a solo in every song? Have you actually listenened to a complete AB Album? what about songs as metalingus, in loving memory, watch over you, break you down, white knuckles, broken wings, shed my skin, coming home, one by one.. Offcourse myles is a better singer as scott.. everyone who has ears and listened to live version of rain agrees with me Is the intro at the beginning of In Loving Memory not a Tremonti solo?
    Ive never seen it as a solo.. its more like a medolic intro.. i dont know, love your view
    kellen.dobmeier
    kellen.dobmeier wrote: Haha, Myles not better than Scott is a hilarious idea. He's way better. Hell, I'll even take Tremonti over Scott. I don't think Scott could hold the notes Mark does in A Thousand Eyes. Scott ain't half the musician Mark is and that's just common knowledge.
    A Thousand Faces***** Wow that one was off. That's why I get for being in a hurry.
    p_a_morgan
    I get tired of hearing people compare Creed and Alter Bridge. Just because they have the same band members, doesn't mean they have to sound the same. Myles Kennedy is a completely different person than Scott Stapp, therefore those two band will be different. Also Myles is a guitar player as well, so that's probably why Alter Bridge's instrumentals are a little more complex than that of Creed's. Alter Bridge's third album is on the way, so if you don't like Creed..wait for it and stop saying how much better AB is than Creed, they aren't supposed to be compared. If it weren't for Creed, there would be no Alter Bridge anyway. I'm not disappointed in Full Circle, I think it's a great album. I believe if they made this album right after Weathered it would've sound just like this. It's like Creed never left.
    slayerisntmusic
    jtalep wrote: slayerisntmusic wrote: I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that. How can you say the band mates weren't passionate about Alter Bridge? And Alter Bridge is just solo after solo after solo? Bull crap! Yeah, there's a solo in every song, but it usually doesn't last more than like, 20 seconds. 'Yeah, there's a solo in every song', point proven
    How is that point proven?! If you want solo after solo after solo listen to Dragon Force. You make it sound like Alter Bridge is just ego masturbation for Tremonti, but it's not. Every solo in Alter Bridge elevates the song in one way or another.
    threedaysgrace9
    another great album that was too long of a wait. Love Creed, glad they're back together. Anxious to see how Creed, Alter Bridge, Scott Stapp's solo band, Myles's solo project are going to co-exist. I LOVE Full Circle. Stapp's voice is great, Tremonti's playing is AMAZING. Two of the greatest at work.
    axeslinger0u812
    ...the first two reviews are obviously the same guy. Anyway, completely disagree with some parts of all the revews. Firstly, weathered? Their best? Really? I agree with the last review calling the first two albums their previous best. Especially my own prison. Awesome album. Each record had their moments, buy, personally, they were few and far between on weathered. Now, onto full circle. COMPLETELY disagree with the weak comment for bread of shame. While not the best song, it was one of my personal favorites. Actually, that's the main reason I decided to comment. But since I am, I will continue by saying this is the first album from them since my own prison in which I liked the majority of the songs. Would have liked more in the vein of overcome, fear, and the aforementioned bread of shame, but on the whole, strong album. Rain, the most recent single, is probably my least favorite song. Other standouts are time and on my sleeve. Still, unlike weathered, which I really disliked, and maybe half of human clay, I think this more of what I was hoping for after my own prison. I think it's obvious that this will be a polarizing release between fans and detractors alike. However, I do suggest anyone actually listen to the songs on YouTube or something before making a decision based on these reviews. Opinions, opinions.
    Powerpro
    I think its pretty solid from the day of listening so far. I also like Bread of Shame, its a cool heavy sound that of the vein of old Creed. On My Sleeve, Time, Fear, A thousand Faces are some others that really stand out.
    kellen.dobmeier
    I was about to wonder. I hope mine helps out. It's the most thorough review I've ever made.
    Andragon
    Below average. When it's solo time, it's SOLO time, meaning no singing. Waiting for Alter.
    jtalep
    This album is great, AB is solo after solo after solo, it gets annoying. AB should be called the Tremonti show, Creed is about unity, and passion. PASSION BREEDS FOLLOWERS, and don't you forget it!
    riffer_raffer
    I think this is mostly disappointing to me because I much prefer everything Alter Bridge has done in comparison to Creed. But I think what bothers me the most is that Tremonti had said in past interviews that "Creed will never happen again", and now, here they are. I lose a little respect for him. Not to mention, just saw Creed perform that poppy shit-song Rain on Regis and Kelly and Scott Stapp is AWFUL live. Where's Myles Kennedy when you need him.
    drivenunder4
    Waited for this album a LONG time! I'll be pickin it up today! I'm a Tremonti freak and much prefer alter bridge to creed but i'm liking what i've heard so far. I just checked out the itunes bonus track "silent teacher" I think I may actually like it better than the 2 singles!
    mlukeroberts222
    I, too, lost a lot of faith in Tremonti, Marshall, and Phillips for all the things they have said negatively in the past about Creed, then when the money train awaits they jump right on. They must not hate Stapp too much. Buying the album today and I'm excited, but I just get the feeling that it's not going to be as good as I had hoped. We'll see!!! I hope Alter Bridge isn't dead!!
    kellen.dobmeier
    Joz104 wrote: jtalep, I completely agree with the AB comment.. Although Tremonti is amazing at soloing, I find the music in Creed is a lot better to listen to, partly because the music isn't as broken up. Also, Stapp's voice is a million time's better then Myles. Not to say AB is a bad band, but its hard to beat the songwriting duo that is Tremonti/Stapp. I think most of the songs are up to par with Creed's standards, except for Bread of Shame. I have to say, its the only Creed song I actually dislike. But, does anyone else find that almost EVERY song can be connected someway to the bands breakup/reunion and Stapp kicking his addiction?
    Scott sure ain't a better singer anymore. You can even hear it on the album. He must've really taken some time off. Myles is far and above a better singer. Even if Scott has better tone Miles doesn't try to outdo himself like Scott does on this album. I hate the end of Good Fight.
    kellen.dobmeier
    Personally, I'm not to upset. It just means that they got over it and forgave Scott, which is better than holding a lifetime grudge. Howeverm AB> Weathered and Full Circle but at least Mark gets to solo. The man should be allowed to do what he wants. The best songs on this album contain solos, which negates the whole idea that he shouldn't. There's no such thing as showing off; there's being up to par with your bandmates and tehre's not being up to par. Mark is just better.
    ArmedOmalley
    both bands are great can't compare them really even if their the same bands with different leads. Both bands bring what their known for to the table and its always great
    jtalep
    ArmedOmalley wrote: both bands are great can't compare them really even if their the same bands with different leads. Both bands bring what their known for to the table and its always great
    Agree
    axeslinger0u812
    Damn. I didn't know they had an iTunes bonus, so I went to listen to it, and was happy I didn't buy it on iTunes all the way until the solo. =\ why have bonus songs for intangible releases??? The whole problem is people aren't buying physical albums anymore. Oh well. At least they didn't do smashing pumpkins, with a bunch of different store specific releases.
    slayerisntmusic
    jtalep wrote: This album is great, AB is solo after solo after solo, it gets annoying. AB should be called the Tremonti show, Creed is about unity, and passion. PASSION BREEDS FOLLOWERS, and don't you forget it!
    I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that. How can you say the band mates weren't passionate about Alter Bridge? And Alter Bridge is just solo after solo after solo? Bull crap! Yeah, there's a solo in every song, but it usually doesn't last more than like, 20 seconds.
    jtalep
    slayerisntmusic wrote: I would have to STRONGLY disagree with that. How can you say the band mates weren't passionate about Alter Bridge? And Alter Bridge is just solo after solo after solo? Bull crap! Yeah, there's a solo in every song, but it usually doesn't last more than like, 20 seconds.
    'Yeah, there's a solo in every song', point proven
    Joz104
    jtalep, I completely agree with the AB comment.. Although Tremonti is amazing at soloing, I find the music in Creed is a lot better to listen to, partly because the music isn't as broken up. Also, Stapp's voice is a million time's better then Myles. Not to say AB is a bad band, but its hard to beat the songwriting duo that is Tremonti/Stapp. I think most of the songs are up to par with Creed's standards, except for Bread of Shame. I have to say, its the only Creed song I actually dislike. But, does anyone else find that almost EVERY song can be connected someway to the bands breakup/reunion and Stapp kicking his addiction?
    Jhenri
    how can u call the intro to in loving memory a solo? if that's the case than the intro to what if is a solo