My Own Prison review by Creed

• Released: Feb 1, 1999
Creed: My Own Prison

This is My Own Prison, the debut album by Creed. Most people recognize Creed as the band that made songs like "Higher", "With Arms Wide Open" and other power ballad hits, but one listen to this album and your perspective on Creed will most likely change. Here I will rate/review each individual track. 01. Torn: the albums opener, and one of the 4 singles off the album. In my opinion it is a really good song. There isn't much to say about it, it is a basic Creed song. 9/10 02. Ode: with an opener as good as "Torn" you would think that they couldn't back it up, but in the 2nd song, "Ode" they do. In my mind this is one of the heaviest songs on the album. I would probably rank this up in the best songs of the album. 9/10 03. My Own Prison: the title track of the album, and the band's first single. The song is quite mellow, up until about 2 minutes into the song when the distortion kicks in. This song is pretty different from the first 2 songs, mainly because Guitarist Mark Tremonti sings the chorus, and it features the first guitar solo on the album. All in all a very good song one of the best so far. 9.5/10 04. Pity For A Dime: this is a great song. Its pretty up beat, musically, although if you listen to to the lyrics they paint a pretty dark picture, like most songs off the album. 9/10 05. In America: probably the worst song off the album *so far*. In no way at all is it bad, it just isn't on par with the first 4 songs. 8.5/10 06. Illusion: mind blowing song. The intro is an incredibly simple, yet amazing Bass solo. The song is very original, and different, but hasn't gotten that much attention. In my opinion this song features *the* best guitar solo off the album. Its simple, but so creative and emotional. Definitely one of the, if not the best song on the album. 9.5/10 07. Unforgiven: without a doubt the heaviest song on the album, probably even the heaviest song Creed has ever released period. The song features Creed's best Bass solo in my opinion, and has awesome riffs. For sure one of the best off the album. 9/10 08. Sister: I'm not really sure what to say about this song. The song seems like it was thrown together at the last minute (despite it being one of the first songs written by Creed). In my opinion it is the worst off the album. 8/10 09. Whats This Life For?: this song is powerful. It is about a friend of Scott and Mark who committed suicide. It can really make you think if you take the time to listen to the lyrics. From a musical stand point, it is a little softer then the majority of the song from the album, but it is still a great song. 9/10 10. One: this is a beautiful song. It isn't as heavy or dark like a lot of the songs from the album, but I like that Creed decided to end the album on a high note. I would say this is possibly the best song off the album, although "Illusion" challenges it. 10/10

The lyrics off this album are great. They dicuss a bit of everything, like doubting your faith (My Own Prison) suicide (Whats This Life For?), and a lot more. The lyrics tend to be pretty dark, but I like that, because there is no reality on this earth without darkness. Its real, its not all sunshine and lollipops. I think Scott has a wonderful voice, its been compared to Eddie Vedder's voice quite a bit, and although I agree they have a similar style, I think each of them have their own uniqueness in their voice. I think Scott's voice goes along greatly with Creed's music.

This is possibly Creed's best release, although their 1999 follow-up, "Human Clay" is really great, and challenges this album as Creed's best. I think the best songs off the album are "Illusion", and "One". The worst in my opinion is "Sister", although the song isn't half bad, just not on par with the rest of the album. If this album was stolen/lost, I would without a doubt pick it up again.