Chronicle, Vol. 1 Review

Creedence Clearwater Revival: Chronicle, Vol. 1
Released: 1976
Label: Fantasy
Genres: Rock & Roll, Country-Rock
It's a lean, concise collection that tells you everything you need to know about Creedence.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.3
 9.6
Chronicle, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: AMERICAN PRICK, on october 03, 2005

Sound: This is great music blues, folk, country, and rock; goddamn this album is good it has a real Lynyrd Skynyrd feel to it but maybe better. The guitar is great in Green River, a reel rock and roll song, Fortunate Son is a pop at the establishment and the sort of song you would hear in a Vietnam War movie while the American choppers are killing "gooks" in a rice field. Up around the bend has a kick ass intro, real rock! // 10

Lyrics: Running through the jungle is a track about Vietnam and damn the lyrics are good. Most of these songs are about political events in the '60s and '70s and really get across the feeling of the time. The singer has a strong American voice and he uses this well in the song especially green river and it gives a kind of country meets rock feel. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great album with great guitar and sound; real rock and roll-blues fusion. The album gets you thinking. If you like, Lynyrd skynyrd you'll love this album I know I do. // 10

Chronicle, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: l0rd0ct0d0rk, on may 30, 2008

Sound: This CD has a good ol' Rock n' Roll sound to it. All of the sounds are equal in volume, which means you can hear the guitar and the bass without the drums cancelling them out. This CD has all of their songs I've heard, and more. The songs are of excellent quality, from "Down On the Corner" to "Have You Ever Seen the Rain?." The sound's quality is superior compared to many other CDs and DVDs I listen to. This is a must have for all CCR fans. // 10

Lyrics: These songs have beautiful lyrics. These are the kind of lyrics that give you that "Lump in Your Throat Feeling," the same kind of feeling that leaves you warm inside. The lyrics and the music go together like mac' & cheese. John Fogerty is an excellent vocalist, and he excells on his guitar. In other words, these lyrics wouldn't be the same without the music, and the music wouldn't be the same without the lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: Many other albums I have listened to, not just limiting to CCR, don't have sound of this quality. All of the songs are excellent. They all have a different feeling to them. For example, "Down On the Corner" gives you the feeling of attending a jazzy party, but in reality, it is a story about four poor boys playing on a street corner for nickels. Another example, in the song, "Someday Never Comes," it sounds like a sad song, but it's moral tells you to Learn what you can as early as possible because it may hit you later on in life like a rude awakening. I love everything about this CD, I hate nothing about it, literally. If it were to get stolen, lost, broken, or scratched up, I would probably burn the songs to another CD because I always keep a back-up of my CDs on a computer. // 10

Chronicle, Vol. 1 Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on february 16, 2009

Sound: What a nice album to listen too, right? CCR is an awesome band and this album describes them in the best way possible. The tracks on here are jammin. They really know how to make certain riffs work out for a whole song. They take what could've been repetition and changed it into solid songs. The tracks on the album have a very nice feel to them, letting you apreciate them as much as possible. The songs vary from short songs with quick solos, and great licks. To long songs with endless jam sessions. The best song soundwise on the whole set is Green River. // 9

Lyrics: I really enjoy CCR's way of putting stories and messages into their songs, they certainly do a good job of making everything work. And John Forgety voice is so unique in the sense that I don't believe I've heard anything, anything at all quite like his. But back to the lyrics, picture John as a good stryteller. Now you can't tell a story well without a good story, I think the bands success in this area came from the fact that it was not just John, but the lyrics also that were amazing. With that said I think that despite the fact that most of CCR's songs have amazing lyrics, I think it is safe to say that Fortunate son is the winner here. // 9

Overall Impression: CCR is classic, there is just no way to not like them. I'll bet that if everyone in the US listened to CCR they could find at least one song, or part of a song that was good and worthwhile. In this album I love get up and dance attitude in the album, but I also like the more serious, world aware side of CCR. This album is definitely worth buying again, considering the number of tracks on it (which makes it a very good deal if you purchase the CD). I think the most memorable songs on the album are Have You Ever Seen Rain, Up Around The Bend, and Bad Moon Rising. // 9

Comments