Creedence Clearwater Revival Review

Label: Fantasy
 1,213
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Creedence Clearwater Revival Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 10, 2012

Sound: This is the first album by legendary band Creedence Clearwater Revival, released in 1968. Revealing what would become one of the most respected bands in the history of rock and roll, this album is probably their "heaviest", most intense album. What you can hear here is some blues rock played really wildly, mixed with some country and even with that psychedelic touch of the late 60's. 3 of the songs here are covers, and amazing covers. An insane version for "I Put A Spell On You" (amazing crazy solo played by John here), their legendary 8-minute version of "Suzie Q" and "Ninety-Nine And A Half (Won't Do)". Well, I see Creedence as an amazing band at all, but truth must be said: since the beginning of all, with this album, John Fogerty was the brain of CCR. The guy is just a genius. The sound of his guitar, allied with his voice, is just epic. But let's give some great credit to the rest of the band, too. Tom Fogerty's rhythm guitar is a pretty good background for John's lead. Bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford are also one of the best rhythm sections a band can have. To shorten things here: this is one of the best debut albums in my opinion, and a classic album by a legendary band. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the songs here talks about love and woman, except for "Porterville", expressing the dislike of one of the band's members (can't remember who) for the city of Porterville, and "The Working Man", which talks about the life of a hard worker. John's voice here is just completely awesome, just like in every CCR record. I honestly think this guy is one of the best rock and roll singers of all time. He just gives 100% of his potential to the songs, and sing them with such a true emotion. It fits perfectly in faster, rock and roll songs and also in more melancholic tunes. It's always like this, on every record that I listen to his voice. Really awesome. // 9

Overall Impression: Well, I don't think I have anything more to say. This is an awesome album, at all. A faithful register of CCR's identity, and the beginning of what would be one of the greatest rock and roll bands ever. If you really never listened to this album, just do it now. I would say "I Put A Spell On You" and "Porterville" are best songs here, but that's just my opinion, of course, and the whole album is really amazing. It's an album that I'm proud to have in my collection, and I think it worths every cent spent on it. I would sure thing buy it again if it gets lost or something like that. // 10

Comments