Falling Away review by Crossfade

• Released: Aug 29, 2006
  • Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Crossfade: Falling Away

Crossfade, who had their breakout with their 2004 hit single "Cold", return with their sophomore effort. And, yes, it was an effort. The album is a huge departure from the rap/rock scene that Crossfade was floating in. Due largely to the loss of founding members Tony Byroads (vocals, turntables, sampling) and Brian Geiger (drums), the new album represents nothing that old Crossfade was. Crossfade was a band with enormous potential in the rap/rock scene, potential to be one of it's best acts (which isn't hard anymore since Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park seem a little washed up). However, now they have floated into the mainstream rock genre and have no chance of taking it over.

Lyrics are overall uninspired. It sounds like lead singer Ed Sloan did a bad job trying to impersonate the lyrics of their self titled debut. Vocal work is phenomenal, however. which leads me to a disclaimer: Crossfade has fantastic musicians with huge potential. But that potential often goes unrealized because they fail to write music that compliments their talent.

Overall, Crossfade is washed up. When half the band left, the other half should have called it quits on a high note. However, they thought they could continue to prosper and with that mindset, they wrote "Falling Away" which vaguely reminds us of Crossfade but, in effect, really just reminds us that there is a better album to be listening to. The new album both alienates fans who loved the first album and fails to draw in new fans. So, with their sophomore slump behind them, will Crossfade call it quits or will they continue to flounder along at the bottom of mainstream rock? On behalf of Crossfade fans everywhere, I'm calling for a reunion.

__Ronnie__
    I understand your review on Falling Away but I have to disagree with it. I loved Falling Away, and I loved their debut. At first I didnt like it but then I came to understand that Crossfade was different and I gave it another try and it started to grow on me. Drown You Out, Why (Even though I hate the scream at the end), Washing The World Away, Already Gone and Invincible are my favorites on the CD.