The Fallout review by Crown The Empire

• Released: Nov 19, 2012
Crown The Empire: The Fallout

Crown The Empire are a young metalcore band from Dallas, Texas. They sound like a mix in between Memphis May Fire and Panic! At The Disco (In my opinion I'm sure some people will feel differently) Anyway the album is produced by Joey Sturgis and the band are signed to Rise Records but despite that they manage to bring some originality to the table. A lot of people don't like Joey's mixes because they feel he overproduces stuff which is fair enough but this album is a bit more relaxed. There are a lot of effects but overall the sound of the album isn't overproduced and the clean vocals are not autotuned but I will get onto more of the vocals later. The guitars are pretty sweet, there is a few new ideas for typical metalcore riffs example being the riff in the Fallout but overall nothing revolutionary here. However the songs do really work with themselves and the riffs are catchy. I think the highlight of this album is the choruses. They are all rather catchy and Andy's voice is really nice over them. The drums are pretty basic, nothing special here. Usually I am impressed when a drummer holds back on an album but the drums on this album are really just weak. They have no originality at all and honestly can't imagine many drummers wanting to learn the songs or the boring fills. Overall I really enjoyed the sound of this album.

The lyrics on this album are pretty lame. Typical uplifting songs mixed with typical personal songs mixed with typical angry lyrics. ZZZZZZZ The lyrics on this album are really nothing to proud of however vocal ability on the other hand. Andy the clean vocalist was only 18 years old when he recorded this album and his voice is fantastic. I really enjoy his cleans and his (or Joey's) ability to come up with catchy choruses. As far as screams goes, I'm pretty sure a guy called Zac Johnson actually recorded screams on this album but he is no longer in the band. However the screams on this album are really good, honestly a master screamer as most vocalists in the metal scene. The vocal ability on this album definitely makes up for the crummy lyrics.

I like this album. I think it's original, I can't really think of any other bands in the scene that sound exactly like it and especially for such a young band it is a promising first release. The album is nothing revolutionary but it has some very catchy hooks and is memorable to any new age metalcore fan. These guys would be great to see live and I can't wait till they come here and play a show cause I'd be rocking out to all these tracks. Should you buy this album? Give "The Fallout," "Graveyard Souls" and "Makeshift Chemistry" a listen. I they do anything for you I'd recommend picking it up.

YouTube preview picture
YouTube preview picture

Xp0sVoLc0mX
    Hey man just a quick fix to an error in your review. It was actually their current unclean vocalist, David Escamilla, who recorded the unclean vocals for the album. Overall I agree with your review for the most part.
    lafawafa
    Great review, I pretty much agree on everything. However, I might add (in addition to the other comment) that Zac Johnson was a really old member. Also, it was the keyboardist, Austin Duncan, who was kicked out shortly after the CD's release.
    samuelfowler291
    lafawafa- Austin Duncan was never kicked out if I remember correctly, he still works behind the scenes with the band and is more of a techie for them. I might be wrong, and may be thinking of brendan barone but I'm unsure.