The Movie [DVD] review by Crue Fest

• Released: Mar 24, 2009
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 10
Crue Fest: The Movie [DVD]

The Crue Fest DVD was filmed at the Crue Fest in Toronto. It is captured quite nicely on two discs. The packaging features a cover that slides over the actual DVD case. Both the cover and the DVD case feature the Crue Fest logo on the front, the members of all the bands performing at the top, and a snapshot of the Motley Crue performance surrounded by the 4 Motley Crue members. The inside of the case features a rear view of the 4 Motley Crue members as they take a bow, a picture that is quite nice, on the disk 1 side, and color pictures of each band on the disk 2 side. The band was full of energy. The overall show was nearly flawless. All of the band members really put a lot of emotion and energy into playing. The sound is very clear; we can hear the backup vocals perfectly. Mick Mars' guitar work is above and beyond what anyone would have expected. He uses a variety of techniques, including fret tapping, and massive usage of the whammy bar and wah pedal. The only letdown is that Vince Neil gets out of breath very often. But after listening to many a live recording by the Crue, one finds that this is inevitable.

Content — 9
The live DVD features 1 or 2 songs from each opening act, and then goes on to a full, 15 song performance by the Crue, plus Tit E Cam, Tommy Lee's way of getting the Crue's female audience going. The Set List: 01.Opening 02.Kickstart My Heart 03.Wild Side 04.Shout at the Devil 05.Saints of Los Angeles 06.Live Wire 07.Sick Love Song 08.Tit E Cam 09.MF of the Year 10.Don't Go Away Mad 11.Same Ol' Situation 12.Primal Scream 13.Looks That Kill 14.Girls Girls Girls 15.Dr. Feelgood 16.Home Sweet Home Vince Neil also plays rhythm guitar during "Same Ol' Situation" and "Don't Go Away Mad". The order of the tracks is nicely planned, although I would've prefered another classic like "Looks That Kill" or "Dr. Feelgood" more towards the middle of the DVD. Also, there is a Mick Mars guitar solo in between Saints of Los Angeles and Live Wire, although it is not listed anywhere on the DVD case. Unfortunately, one of the songs Vince seems to get out of breath on is "Girls Girls Girls", and Mick's outro solo is more whammy bar oriented then one would expect. However, all of the other tracks are exellent. Although I am satisfied with the setlist, I would have loved to hear a classic cover, such as "Helter Skelter" or "Smokin' in the Boys' Room". Other songs I would have wanted to hear are "White Trash Circus" and "Too Fast For Love". The setlist for the opening acts was this: Trapt: Contagious Headstrong Sixx A.M. Pray For Me Life is Beautiful Papa Roach: Time is Running Out Forever Last Resort Buckcherry: Lit Up Sorry Crazy Bitch These bands were pretty good, but Motley Crue shows em' up. I would've liked to hear another song by Sixx A.M., I don't care which one, just one more would be nice, but that's my only real problem here, exept that the Crue is a lot better as a whole than these guys. The DVD contains a Crue documentary called Cruefest 2008 All "Excess" Pass Documentary, and six music videos. The six music videos are: 01.White Trash Circus 02.Live Wire 03.Kickstart My Heart 04.Saints of Los Angeles 05.Primal Scream 06.Looks That Kill It's great that they even put these on here. They look really cool, and are in the best quality possible, in both sound and picture. I'm surprised though, that the White Trash Circus video is on the DVD, considering the Crue didn't actually play it during the performance. Perhaps to advertise for Crue Fest 2? Anyway, it's a nice surprise. I was hoping for one of the videos to be MF of the Year though, and I'm surprised it wasn't on here. All the other videos were ones I expected, but I'm glad they were included. The music videos make the DVD even more fun.

Production Quality — 10
Although it is a live performance, the sound seems like it could be on a studio recorded CD. It is obviously live music, but it is mixed just right so that everything, background vocals, the crowd cheering, you name it, is recorded at just the right volume level. As I watched this DVD, I could hear every note of Mick Mars' solos, every drum beat, the thumping bass lines, and Vince Neil wailing, all while hearing the crowd cheer in the background. The camera angles are very unique. There are angles all over, from the crowd's point of view, to behind the drumset. The camera work is flawless, except during Tit E Cam, but quite a bit of that is from a camera that Tommy Lee was holding. And the camera doesn't just stay on the bands, either. We get to see the crowd going wild quite a bit. However, since there are so many different lighting effects, there are points where a viewer will see almost nothing at all, or the band members will be bathed in red light, making it hard to see what is going on. Usually these intervals don't last long, and it isn't the camera's fault, it's simply the sheer amount of different lightings.

This DVD is simply above and beyond anything I have seen from other artists. I am definetly hoping for the same to be done with Crue Fest 2. The most impressive thing about this DVD has to be sound quality. It is flawless, and I can hear everything clearly. I love that this DVD captures a live performance by one of my favorite bands so nicely. It shows that Motley Crue has ideas that are far ahead of anyone else's. I can't find one thing that I really hate about it. If this DVD were stolen, I would most certainly buy it again. If it were lost, I would tear apart my hose searching for it, and if I didn't find it, I'd definetly buy it again.