The Movie [DVD] Review

artist: Crue Fest date: 05/13/2009 category: compact discs
Crue Fest: The Movie [DVD]
Release Date: March 24, 2009
While the main attraction of Crue Fest film is undoubtedly the music, its the hi def camera work that often times steals the show.
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 10
 8.9
 8.9
 8.8
The Movie [DVD] Reviewed by: UG Team, on march 24, 2009

Sound: Even with all multiple tours that bombard the public every summer, no one really doubted that a festival headlined by the one-and-only Motley Crue would be a financial success. In it's first go-round last year, Crue Fest (obviously headlined by Vince Neil and the boys) featured a solid lineup of openers that included the likes of Buckcherry, Papa Roach, Sixx: AM, and Trapt. If you happened to miss the tour, you'll now get your chance to witness the rock spectacle and it will probably look better than the real thing thanks to the wonders of high def. The filmmakers behind Crue Fest put together over 90 minutes chronicling the event's kick-off year, and the use of 15 hi def cameras and 5.1 Audio ensure that quality viewing and/or sound are never an issue. In a marketing twist, Crue Fest will be premiering in movie theaters on March 19, only to be released on DVD a few days later on March 24. So if you can't make it to one of the few theaters showing the film, you won't have to wait long to own the actual film. In terms of the breakdown of the film, it's pretty cut and dried. Rather than taking an infinite amount of footage at each of the 40-plus shows during the Crue Fest, the filmmakers chose one particular location upon which to give their focus. Filmed at Toronto's Molson Amphitheater on August 28, 2008, Crue Fest 2008 has no shortage of diehard fans and excellent sound systems 2 aspects that can actually make or break a performance. The 4 opening acts are touched upon briefly, and you'll get snippets of the bands' interviews and a live performance from each one. Seeing Nikki Sixx come out earlier in the evening with Sixx: AM is actually one of the more interesting aspects of the entire movie, if only because it shows how easy-going Sixx is about the process. For someone as iconic as Sixx, it's refreshing to see clips that show him giving support to a new bass player. In regards to the openers, songs performed include Trapt's Contagious, Sixx: AM's Life Is Beautiful, and Papa Roach's Last Resort. Blowing them all away, however, is Buckcherry's lewd and crude Crazy Bitch. You may not be a fan of the sleazy, gritty rock anthems from Buckcherry, but frontman Josh Todd took the entire concert to a different place with his drawn-out and often quite shocking intro to Crazy Bitch. If there was one rock star that owned the stage that night and recalled figures like Iggy Pop or Axl Rose, it was Todd. While the openers are given a pretty quick overview, the makers of the film didn't skimp on the main attraction. Motley Crue is shown playing 7 of their biggest hit's (plus one killer Mick Mars guitar solo), and each one from Wild Side to Shout At The Devil is a crowd pleaser. No one can argue that The Crue is a legend, but it should be said that Vince Neil doesn't quite have the stamina that he once did. Neil's vocals cut in and out, and it's not from any technical glitches. Simply put, the poor guy just gets out of breath. It's certainly not enough to ruin the tight musicianship from Mick Mars, Tommy Lee, and Nikki Sixx, but it does get distracting at times. // 8

Overall Impression: If the filmmakers opt to make a sequel to Crue Fest, I have a feeling that they'll be able to explore a lot of new options (I.e., behind-the-scenes interviews, particularly with the Crue itself). Most of the interviews in the main feature do tend to be with the opening acts, but again, the upcoming DVDs might include some extras that might solve that problem. The highlights ended up being the most unexpected ones, particularly Buckcherry's amazing rendition of Crazy Bitch or even Mick Mars' chance to stand in the spotlight via his tapping-fueled guitar solo. Next time around, the filmmakers should think about collecting a bit more footage from other cities, just to cover their bases with Vince Neil. The iconic frontman is still a great entertainer, but it would have been great to have a vocal performance that matched the quality of the rest of the movie. // 8

The Movie [DVD] Reviewed by: ironmanben, on may 13, 2009

Sound: The Crue Fest DVD was filmed at the Crue Fest in Toronto. It is captured quite nicely on two discs. The packaging features a cover that slides over the actual DVD case. Both the cover and the DVD case feature the Crue Fest logo on the front, the members of all the bands performing at the top, and a snapshot of the Motley Crue performance surrounded by the 4 Motley Crue members. The inside of the case features a rear view of the 4 Motley Crue members as they take a bow, a picture that is quite nice, on the disk 1 side, and color pictures of each band on the disk 2 side. The band was full of energy. The overall show was nearly flawless. All of the band members really put a lot of emotion and energy into playing. The sound is very clear; we can hear the backup vocals perfectly. Mick Mars' guitar work is above and beyond what anyone would have expected. He uses a variety of techniques, including fret tapping, and massive usage of the whammy bar and wah pedal. The only letdown is that Vince Neil gets out of breath very often. But after listening to many a live recording by the Crue, one finds that this is inevitable. // 9

Overall Impression: This DVD is simply above and beyond anything I have seen from other artists. I am definetly hoping for the same to be done with Crue Fest 2. The most impressive thing about this DVD has to be sound quality. It is flawless, and I can hear everything clearly. I love that this DVD captures a live performance by one of my favorite bands so nicely. It shows that Motley Crue has ideas that are far ahead of anyone else's. I can't find one thing that I really hate about it. If this DVD were stolen, I would most certainly buy it again. If it were lost, I would tear apart my hose searching for it, and if I didn't find it, I'd definetly buy it again. // 10

Comments