Once Was Not review by Cryptopsy

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Cryptopsy: Once Was Not

What to say about the sound of this Cryptopsy album except it is awesome. The sound, on each song, is perfectly mixed. I also like the sound of Illuminum an acoustic/electric guitar intro played by John Levasseur which really puts you in a smooth atmosphere until the end that let you predict the worst. All the songs are unique, the drums are awesome due to Flo Mounier intense drumming and the guitar are so good. Listen to the 3rd song where the guitarist perform exceptionnal artificial harmonics followed by rough death metal riffs that you'll find everywhere on the album. I also liked The End an instrumental song whit egyptian style kinda like behemoth melodies. I really liked this album for the sound.

The lyrics are death metal. The only problem is whit Lord Worm vocals (lead singer of the band) the old school cryptopsy singer have lost his power. Listen to None So Vile and Blasphemy Made Flesh then you will see what I'm talking about, Lord Worm has become older but still have some power. The superb back vocals by Flo Mounier who is backing him up on all the songs really mask this little voice default of Lord Worm. Still the lyrics and the vocals return to the basics of Cryptopsy, more raw, less technical but still technical Cryptopsy!

You cannot compare this album to the past Cryptopsy albums because it is not the same singer has Whisper Supremacy and And Then You'll Beg because lyrically and vocally theyre is a big difference between Lord Worm and Mike DiSalvo. I think this album is a must have to old and new Cryptopsy fans. Musically it's very good, and seriously if it got stolen I sure go to the store and buy it again!

Raptor45
    good stuff! but I'd choose Mike Disalvo over Lord Worm any day , in lyric and singing styles.