Once Was Not review by Cryptopsy

• Released: Oct 18, 2005
Cryptopsy: Once Was Not

This album is by far the most technical of any other Cryptopsy albums. It is rare that you will here a power chord, and it sticks to a lot of diminished work at fast, tempo changing paces. The drumming is again amazing, as Flo Mounier is known for his godly technical drumming. The songs are pretty consistent but it gets a little filler during some parts. This album aslo singifies the departure of lead guitarist of Jon Levassuer, who was the primary songwriter of the band.

The lyrics are the, as usual, medieval lyrics. I have very little to say about the lyrics, because this album is less thematic and more about the musicianship. The lyrics are just the icing on the cake. However, as in most death metal, unless you have the booklet in front of you or unnaturally well trained and experienced ears, you can't understand the lyrics anyways. Lord Worm has lost his natural strength in voice, however, his raspy voice seems fitting for this album.

A few hilights of the album are Adeste Infidelis, In the Kingdom Where Everything Dies, the Sky is Mortal, and Endless Cemetary. The strong diminished pressence is essential to this album. It shows a very new direction the band is taking, and is definatly a comeback from two poorly done albums that precede it. It is definatly a must buy from this band. I would buy it again if it were stolen or lost, and in fact, I bought both the cardboard slipcase and the digipack versions of it.

swedish_death
    Disalvo brought a different side out of cryptopsy, but Lord Worm will forever go down in history as one of the best death metal lyricists and vocalists.
    gam0001
    The production and sometimes the vocals are bad but the rest is good.
    romencer17
    yes, Disalvo was good for where cryptopsy went, and it made sense that lord worm left during those albums. but to me, Lord Worm will always be god. I will always remember Lord Worm and Chris Barnes as the lords of death metal vocals, forever.