The Unspoken King review by Cryptopsy

• Released: May 26, 2008
  • Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Cryptopsy: The Unspoken King

While this release certainly is controversial, the sound and production of it is not. It should come as no surprise that Flo Mounier, the drummer, visionary and driving force behind Cryptopsy takes up a lot of the spotlight with his drumming and commands quite a large portion of the spectrum to his very well crafted work. However, he occasionally takes up too much space, somewhat depending on what he's playing. A section with blastbeats will come up and you wonder what happened to Alex Auburn (guitar), because Mounier's drumming tends to drown out other instruments. Maybe it's just my stereo, which is not state of the art, but I rarely come across balance issues like this. If we purely focus on the production of the album, it's a pretty good one. It will not give you strange, expletive emotions but it falls a notch or two below what you might expect from a band of Cryptopsy's stature.

We're not getting lyrics akin to those of Lord Worm, but that should not be expected either (Lord Worm was a pretty special guy, after all). The topics and phrases come off as a bit more stock, but they're certainly not cringeworthy nor does my crap-o-meter reach new heights when paying special attention to the lyrics. The product presented pleases this listener quite well, and as far as this album is concerned, they do the trick.

Prior to hearing this album, I'd poked around the internet a bit, hearing people draw comparisons between the album and the kind of things that come out of your butt. I had a hard time seeing Cryptopsy, the mighty Cryptopsy, sink to such a level musically. When I finally got around to hearing it, well, I was surprised. The Unspoken King gets off to a fast and heavy start, with opener Worship Your Demons pounding down the door and hitting you like a brutal, heavy album should. Everything seems well at this point, just like after the second and third track passes. Nothing out of the ordinary, not as complex as we've learned to know them, a bit different but certainly not bad. At this point, I was wondering why the heck they brought in that sampler? I hadn't noticed any appearances made by her, so I wondered if I'd missed something. Maybe she'd been sacked? Oh well. Come Bemoan The Martyr, the album seems solid enough, but this is certainly where things go south. I do not oppose myself to sampling, nor any vocal style, as long as it's done well and done with taste. The sampling does not take centre stage much, nor does it add much to the song at hand. The atmosphere we reviewers mostly go on about when elements such as sampling are included is forgettable, at best. It doesn't bother you, but what does it add? Now, taking over the microphone after such a beast as Lord Worm is certainly not an easy task, but it's still something a vocalist can handle. Just look at Mike DiSalvo. Matt McGachy and his style of mixed growling/screaming does a decent job of fronting this extreme band, until he tries his hand at clean singing, which doesn't work out at all. The idea of including more melodic elements in a very brutal sound has been proven to work before, and there's nothing wrong with it, as long as it's executed properly. On paper, all the new elements Cryptopsy try to bring in could work very well. But what it all boils down to is failed execution. The songs simply aren't good enough and the new sections make you cringe at times. Sure, there's some nice playing performed by Mounier & Co, but Cryptopsy fail miserably at delivering a coherent and interesting album. Flo can go on all he likes about how we're not open-minded enough to experience this album, or how this album represents a lot of growth for the band -- as far as I'm concerned, this project is a miscarriage. But it did spawn a lot of funny internet humor.

TheAmenCorner89
    Really disappointed with this album, after amazing works such as None So Vile and Once Was Not. The new singer comes across as far too metalcore-y kind of growl style, this band needs a unique vocalist like Lord Worm to take it to the heights they once had. How the mighty have fallen...
    Shazazmic
    tom-the-lawn wrote: Shazazmic wrote: ^ And I'm sure having a band reference to alexisonfire is any better? You're certainly brutal. Shut the **** up, you can't associate Avenged Sevenfold with Alexisonfire because they're not alike. Avenged Sevenfold = Cheesy Metalcore Alexisonfire- "Emo"? Even though I used to like A7X I can see where you're coming from about them thinking they're all tough or whatever but Alexisonfire are NOTHING like that. Lose your "OH THIS BAND ISN'T REALLY HEAVY SO THEY'RE FAAAGS" attitude because it makes you look like a complete douche.
    You completely missed my point you arrogant imbecile. He judged someone based on their name. I merely pointed out his hypocritical post. I never bashed Avenged Sevenfold or Alexisonfire. You need to learn how to read. I suggest trying to get past the first grade? Anyways, this album isn't anywhere the level that Cryptopsy is capable of.
    tom-the-lawn
    acidhammerdrums
    Missed the point.
    tom-the-lawn
    I can kind of see what you're getting at but the point wasn't proved so well. If it was Alexisonfire and any other band that isn't cheesy then I wouldn't say anything. But here's both my and the guy who originally posted 'lol A7X' or whatever's point; Avenged Sevenfold are a funny band, they're decent musicians but they're lame. It ended up like this guy was saying that Alexisonfire were also cheesy and to the extent of A7X which is not true at all.
    Tumble-weed
    Cryptopsy trying to become Deathcore just failed miserably. Horrible album and definitely not worthy of the name CRYPTOPSY! The band made NONE SO VILE for crying out loud!
    eyehatepop89
    Anno[fzk] wrote: A good review, terrible album. I don't really like Cryptopsy, but when I listened to this one, I knew something was wrong. It was bad attempt at deathcore. And by comparison, I now see why people revere the other albums (especially None So Vile). They are actually pretty good. IMO, the Crypt could have pulled off the deathcore and melodic singing. They should've retained some of their classic trademarks at the same time though, instead of making something this bland and uninteresting.
    That's very true, but you must remember that there's only 2 out of 6 original members left :| and they certainly didn't 110% like they did on any of their other albums.
    hotdog_warmcat
    anybody notice on their myspace they have the guitarists down as "guitarz"? i think that was pretty good foreshadowing to an album as boring and ill-conceived as this.
    DustyBannister
    rockybo has it right lol. This may sound like purist bull crap, but they need to go back to what they were doing. It's cool if a band wants to do something new, but this is just terrible. I am Canadian and really take pride in this band, sucks that they have turned into this. Luckily we've got Beneath The Massacre.
    nirvana4lf
    shantanupatni wrote: The deadly mallcore virus grabs another victim
    shantanupatni wrote: The deadly mallcore virus grabs another victim
    when i first read all these comments here, i couldnt believe what i had seen! immediately got the album, and wow... its true... and it sounds like a lot of it has to do with their new shitty vocalist matt mcgachy! BRING LORD WORM BACK!!!!
    Gregray88
    McMetal
    I Hate it. It is an album worth burning in a large fire. Lord worm was the heart and soul of cryptopsy and every album without him has been increasingly horrible.
    steve_a7x
    very good album, i really like it, BUT it shouldnt be under the name of cryptopsy, its totally different to cryptopsy stuff
    bassmastabilljo
    ok have any of you seen cryptopsy live with lord worm (once was not-era, not 90's). my older brother saw them in '05 and taped it. i saw the tape. lord worm was beyond horrible live, it was like watching a 90 year old man walk around on stage! at least matt can handle the live shows.
    cone-demon
    awesome album man ... not as sketchy as the old ones the vocalist rips lord worm from my opinion, hes got everything going in his own way. guitar is way shredy and flowy... they're obviously growing a more distinct sound..... they wouldnt get shitter with that amount of talent.... but its all personal opinion...
    zeroterminus
    i kould kind of understand how cypt. tried to change but to deathcore seriously, hell it would have been a better to move to have gone to deathrash kind of metal instead of deathcore, but alex kind of ****ed up
    travislausch
    To this album's defense, it's some of the best deathcore I've ever heard. That still puts it far below most death metal bands.
    TwistClock
    Looks like I'm going to start listening to Once was not again. Lets hope Lord worm comes back. which he wont, but it would be cool.
    MikeShawMe
    I think this CD is just "OK" Some of the solos are awesome, and Flo still kicks ass... So whatever, i'm not making a big deal out of it..
    spiritcrusher91
    Very fair and well-balanced review. ...I still think it's a crap album! But I hope to read more reviews written by you!
    Masterofpirates
    Aside from the shitty frontman, this album wasn't that bad. If you want really bad deathcore listen to any of the thousand local bands we have.
    Dirtydeeds468
    Gregray88 wrote: I really feel sorry for all these legendary bands, people set the standards WAY to high for their new albums and are always disappointed.
    This is much less of a case where people are "dissapointed." In actually, they're more "pissed," or, "infuriated," or, "enraged," that a band like Cryptopsy would shit all over their fans and put out such an obvious money-grabber like this. In other words, people aren't pissed at the "quality" of the album, moreso the fact that it's such a convenient change in style for the band. (not to say that bands can't change their style...look at Behemoth, FFS.)
    Reviewer Pete
    AzureNight wrote: Terrible review, probably the only people who actually liked the album. It was 100% garbage from beginning to end, 0/10.
    3/10 for impression comes off as liking an album to you? What's 0/10? Mildly sub-par?
    Shazazmic
    Guitarmike123
    They have been going downhill for a while, IMO Once Was Not was also a mediocre album, not as bad as this one but still mediocre. Too bad Jon Levasseur left, it seems like he was the main songwriter. Excellent review though.
    jonathanonfire
    lmao.... says the person who likes avenged sevenfold. ****kk you. this album is horrible. completely departing from their old sound, selling out and losing all of their creativity and brutality in the process. 100% fail. the only song i actually kinda like is worship your demons, which doesnt sound like them at all, but a beneath the massacre rip-off. its amazing how a band as good as cryptopsy could stoop this low and blow so hard.
    steve_a7x
    i really like this album, yeah its not like there old stuff but i think its a really good album i give it 8
    RC_Hammer
    Shazazmic wrote: ^ And I'm sure having a band reference to alexisonfire is any better? Lol. Yeah, this album was disappointing. You're certainly brutal.
    Emenius Sleepus
    steve_a7x
    yeah so what if i like avenged sevenfold i have a wide variety in music and it is a very good album maybe not quite as good as once was not and whisper supremacy but i think its an awesome album so **** you johnisonfire!
    Reviewer Pete
    Emenius Sleepus wrote: despite the album failing, this is one of the most balanced reviews I will read on it, I'm sure. Good job
    Thank you!
    Anno[fzk]
    travd92
    when i heard the new album, i thought it was a different band with the same name. honestly, what happen to this band? i miss lord worm.
    FrEaKGuItArIsT
    Meh. Nothing Cryptopsy does will ever compare to None So Vile (i.e: phobophile, slit your guts). IMO, Matt should've stayed in 3 Mile Scream and Cryptopsy should have had DiSalvo come back. The actual musicality isn't terrible, its just not as good as it should be/usually is. Everything is way less technical and amazing as Cryptopsy (used) to be known for, however I do like a few tracks. Despite the clean-singing section, I'd have to say Contemplate Regicide is my favourite track out of the album that shouldn't be.
    2Old2Cold
    Well here goes another band that used to be good, but have failed with their latest offering. These guys should just quit. I mean, this album is on the level of St. Anger.
    The Evil Hat
    It's not that the album is bad, it's just that it's a complete cash grab and is as close to Deathcore as is physically possible to be, while vehemntaly denying any affiliation with the scene. Well, that's what i thought at first. Then he sung cleanly, and it went from 'generic cash grab' to 'shit' in about five seconds.
    AzureNight
    Kivarenn82
    after hearing the leaked tracks. Cryptopsy convinced me the new album wasn't worth whatever they're going to charge me for it.
    rockybo
    I will be seeing these guys at Summer Slaughter and there will be no silence during their set where this guy doesn't shout "LORD WORM" or "FUCK CORETOPSY"