Domestica Review

Cursive: Domestica
Release Date: Jan 1, 2000
Label: Saddle Creek
Genres: Indie Rock, Emo
With more rock and less whine, Cursive provides an exclamation point to the emo scene with Domestica, their third release.
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Domestica Reviewed by: Driftwood., on november 14, 2007

Sound: When you pick up the CD Domestica, you might notice the nice couple embraced on the cover and be led to think this is an album of undying love and romance. You'd quickly learn that that is not the case. It starts with a very loud ugly chords, and quickly proceeds into tales of sorrow and abuse. The vocalist's raspy voice perfectly fits over the beatiful melodies and rhythm of the songs with sudden ugly chords, bringing out the true emotions that are supposed to be experienced from this album. It is very hard to explain the way it sounds. It's almost like it constantly starts and stops in a very explosive manner. It sounds absolutely amazing. // 10

Lyrics: This album is the story of Sweetie and Pretty Baby, the couple on the cover, and the trials and horrors of their relationship. The songs are chapters in their lives, and the lyrics are extremely introspective. Considering this, they seem to be a little abstract and may not be for everybody. Here's a section from "The Lament of Pretty Baby": "Oh Pretty Baby, you're so naive / but it comes off so cute / We don't want to fix you / We love you just the way you are/ The butterfly pinned to the page / The nightingale locked in the cage / won't you sing for me?" The singer belts out these vocals perfectly, and it matches the mood of the music very well. The lyrics and music always line up just right for you to get best rush from the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite CD, with "The Ugly Organ" and "Happy Hollow" closely under it. I find it really hard to compare this band to any others because I have never heard anything like it. I get a rush everytime I listen, and I've had the CD for about 4 months. The most impressive songs on the album go to "The Casualty", "The Martyr", and "The Lament of Pretty Baby." The only problem I have with CD is it's length. It only has 9 songs, and only lasts a mere 40 minutes. But, of course, those are very entertaining 40 minutes. I recommend this CD to anybody, especially if you are into Punk or Alternative music. // 10

Comments