Happy Hollow Review

Cursive: Happy Hollow
Release Date: Aug 22, 2006
Label: Saddle Creek
Genres: Indie Rock
Each song on Happy Hollow is sung from a different perspective, be it the priest's or parishioner's, and explores ideas of sin, untruth, and those murky areas where the right answer, the right thing to do, is anything but obvious.
 9.6
 9.2
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Happy Hollow Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 07, 2006

Sound: The album is explosive, every song is a huge blast of music. Probably just me, but I compare this album to Sgt. Pepper from The Beatles. Instead of cello, the album is filled with bombastic horns. Very cheerful and upbeat sounding album, but when you read the lyrics, it suddenly feels like a dark humor of an album. But I'll save the lyrical talk for the lyrical section. Every song has it's own feel on the album and the emotion is fit incredibly well. This is a concept album, and strangly, there is no trace of pretention. Each song takes place from different perspectives, but they're all unifying themes, all hymns to the heathen, all telling the mocking expression against religion. In the album, you'll hear quite a few styles played together, many times in unison. Prog, punk, blues, and jazz. But those are only the main styles, there are plenty of little twists inside the music to always keep your listening very UN-boring. I have never heard any album that sounds like this, it is truely an odd album, but in a very good way. All instruments are top-notch, and another thing I love about this album, it isn't a guitar album. Happy Hollow has plenty of guitar, but when you take in the music for memorable times, you think of all the music, it sounds very wholesome. Go get this album. No doubt you will love it. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are all told within themselves in their separate songs, but they are all together mainly because they are a set of 14 hymns. All the songs are anti-religion, featuring lines such as, "You aren't the chosen one. I'm no the chosen one. We don't need anyone." Basically, this whole album is one song, and this song is called Happy Hollow. I'm loving the lyrics. The lyrics, just how they're sung, how it goes along with sudden and just outrageously fun music, just fits all too well. The singer has a great voice and he gets to points that sound like he's on the verge of screaming, rasping kind of, but it always remains cheerful. // 10

Overall Impression: Don't compare this album to anything you've ever heard. This isn't Ugly Organ 2. My 5 top songs: Hymns For The Heathen, So-So Gigilo, The Sunks, At Conception, Big Bang. Good explosive music, ever-entertaining the whole way through, great horns. Bad the songs are a bit too short but I guess that could also be why it's so entertaining. If I ever got this taken away from me or lost, I'd get my ass to the store and get it. // 10

Comments