The Ugly Organ review by Cursive

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Cursive: The Ugly Organ

There is a diverse selection of sounds, as well as insturments. Curisve has a cellist, and the lead singer (Tim Kasher) plays an electric organ. The Cd starts off with The song "the ugly organist" which i fell is a ceesey cliche carnaval organ sound. However, After the short 53 seconds, we get into the real music. "Red Handed Sleight of Hand" Is the perfect first song for the cd. With Fast Cello parts loud guitars and lots of energy. Tims voice I just amazing, sort of a drunken slur/scream. On the other end of the spectrum we have "The recluse" which is a melodic song featureing lovely interlocking vibraphone, cello, and basslines with a guitar that accents it all. Most of the songs feauter ugly chords. The CD could have been a bit better mixed, but i wont hold it against them.

Lyrics are probally the most subbjective part of music. I love them, depressing and emotional, about love and betrayal, however, not as depressing as some of their other cd's (Domestica for sure). Because it is so objective, I will just post some excerpts and you will see if they are your style or not. I love Tim's voice. "And A can hardly get myself out of her bed, for fear of never lying in this bed again. Oh Chirst, I'm not that desperate. - oh no - oh god - I am."- the recluse. "There is a ghost in my bed. She crys in her sleep, she says I won't let her leave." -bloody Murderer. "He left her apartment, and he walked all night long, till he was stopped by the shore of the ocean, but still he walked on, amongst the whales and the waves, and screemed "Liar! Liar!" - Driftwood : A Fairy Tale.

This has got to be my second favorite album of all time, only beat out by weezer pinkerton. I find the cello to blend perfectly with the rest of the band, and Tim's Voice is beautiful. My favorite songs would have to be "Some Red handed sleight of head", "The recluse", "A gentalman caller", "Harold Weathervein", And "Bloody Murderer". Thats is half the cd. Unless you listen to strickly metal, I would highly recomend this to people.