The Ugly Organ review by Cursive

• Released: Mar 4, 2003
Cursive: The Ugly Organ

This is an amazing CD. The first track is a creepy sort of intro with an organ playing vile sounds, and a guttural but faint scream blaring in the back. The next track, "Some Red Handed Sleight Of Hand" opens the record with a sort of punkish/emo flare, but as the record progresses it defies any genre. the music is almost ugly at times, the guitars ranging from extremely clean to extremely dirty. At times, Tim Kasher sounds so frustrated that some songs almost have no melody, but it only enhances the miserable mood that the record conveys.

The lyrics are almost beyond description. Tim Kasher is a genius. He mixes straight forward frustration with poetic subtlty in a cauldron of emotional and sexual confusion and despair. The way Tim Kasher softly whispers in some parts, and then straight out bellows in despair in others brings us right into his own world of misery, and he keeps us there for twelve tracks.

I bought this CD five days ago, but I've never heard anything like it in my life. This is the first cursive record I've picked up, but I am familiar with tim kasher's othe band, the good life. However, cursive is a much better career choice for him, I think! songs like "Art Is Hard" and "Driftwood" are songs that capture a sad sort of mood, and songs like "Butcher The Song" and "Gentleman Caller" pull you into such a low state of despair that its almost unbearable. But it's a good thing. This CD is amazing, and I highly recommend it!

BK202
    Ramones Rule wrote: 1. This Band sucks 2. listen to real music 3. u r gay for insaulting Drowning Pool
    :facepalm:. Seriously, gtfo. Right now. Also one of my favorite albums of all time. Tim Kasher is pure genius.
    Infamou$17
    ^You fail at life. Favorite album of all time. Not my favorite band, somehow, but there is no other band I know of who set up an album so perfectly. Wouldn't change a thing