Senjyu Review

artist: Cyclamen date: 07/06/2012 category: compact discs

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Cyclamen: Senjyu
Released: Oct 25, 2010
Genre: Experimental Mathcore, Metalcore, Post-Hardcore, Screamo
Label: Self-released
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Senjyu Reviewed by: dr-g0nz0, on july 06, 2012

Sound: Cyclamen is a project, formed by Hayato Imanishi in 2008, which is essentially a Progressive/Metalcore band. Their back catalouge is pretty slim, with only a couple of EPs, a demo and this album. Going off just this album, the band show signs of great things to come. 12 tracks, the feels like a crazy journey from start to finish. Opening track "Mother" is a slow building instrumental song that doesn't stay with you long and quickly goes into "The Seeker" that is a hard hitting song with alot of heavy vocal screams mixed with nice melodies, with some great instrument work behind it. The album as a whole is very varied in sound, and you'll notice there is a well balanced amount of songs that go from in-your-face heavy, to Envy/Mogwai-esque relaxed tracks that keep you very interested. My main gripe with the album though is its length; weighing in at a measly 38 minutes 6 seconds, its over before you even realise. Which is a massive shame for me, because I really wanted it to be abit longer. A couple more heavy tracks would have definitely filled my appetite. But, how it stands, you get an album with many varied well put together songs that work well as a whole, albeit a little on the short side. // 10

Lyrics: The vocal work is great. In a metalcore fashion, you get alot of heavy shouting in this. But I felt there was more of the nice, clean, soft vocals, and they worked really well with the quieter parts of the songs. That's not to say it didn't have a alot of heavy vocal time, because you get a healthy amount to please the metal fans, too. And both style of vocals gel really well with the music. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm really impressed with this album. Despite a couple of niggles, this is definitely one of the best albums I've heard this year. If your a fan of prog/metal this one is right up your alley. Their fan base isn't that big, and think with this sort of exciting music coming out from these guy's it'd be a shame to see them disappear. Definitely worth checking out. // 8

Comments