Carbon-Based Anatomy review by Cynic

• Released: Nov 11, 2011
Cynic: Carbon-Based Anatomy

"Carbon Based Anatomy" is the fourth effort by the band and their second EP. The first and one of biggest changes I heard was the absence of the robotic vidcoder vocals on Paul Masvidal's voice but beyond that the overall music has the Cynic sound with some added Sonic's to make the music a progressive jazz filled odyssey. Even though the whole EP runs less then a half and hour it's a journey filled with ambient soundscapes and 3 full song tracks and 3 instrumentals. The drumming on this album is insane but never seems out of place and keeps a very solid pocket and has some interesting fills. The guitars are also incredible the rhythms are jazzy and varied and the leads are solid and add textures to the song also the solo in the title track is intense and masterful. While the bass isn't heard much its felt and stays in the back and filling the whole songs together.

The singing are all clean as opposed to traced in and focus there is no screams or growls just clean vocals not even vidcoder as I said before on some of the more ambient tracks there is a female vocalist and what sounds like singer one would hear in a Chinese food place. The lyrics are cryptic and obscure but they seem to have an overall concept to them which will take a few listens to even tell how they run together.

This is a far departure from their first few albums and have taken a different tern musically. It is an overall good EP a bit on the short side but what can one expect from an EP I like everything this band is doing and can't wait for their next offering beyond that short journey was a great one.

travislausch
    travislausch wrote: I'm actually having a hard time getting into it, despite Traced in Air and Focus being two of my favourite albums of all time...
    Having given it the proper time, I retract this comment. Wonderful, albeit short, release. Might write up my own review.
    Mahoru
    tancanada wrote: I have never listened to Cynic before and picked up this album on a whim. It's fantastic.
    It is, absolutely. But pick up the rest of their work! It's not much, but both albums and the other EP are just as brilliant, if not more! I particularly think that Traced in Air is one of the top 5 albums I've heard in my entire life.