Focus review by Cynic

• Released: Jan 1, 1993
Cynic: Focus

Cynic is a great band. Lead singer and guitarist, Paul Masvidal, uses an amazing effect on his voice that captivates the lister and keeps them listening until either the song is over, or until they die of heart attack because of how technical the guitar riffs are. Haha. The music on this album is unique, it's like jazz fuzed with metal. I got this album in 2007 and I was speechless. I had been told about Cynic by a good friend, and at first, I was a bit Cynical (pun intended) about cynic. When I listened to the album and read lyrics and after I was done absorbing the feel and meaning of the music, I was Cynic's newest fan. This was their debut album, on this album, cynic uses intriguing clean passages and some of the most intense riffs for all thos "Br00tal Metal heads" out there. They created "jazz metal." I love this album.

the lyrics, you could tell, had to take some time to write. Just by reading the lyrics, I thought to myself "How does one man, Paul Masvidal, come up with such vivd and expressional words to convey his ideas?" I could tell that someone would need to sit and really think to write lyrics like the ones on Focus. The lyrics fit the music very well. I love the effects that Paul uses on his voice. It just adds to the pleasure of the listener. You've got the vocals with effects and then growls in the background. It's just outstanding. Paul Masvidal is a very classically-trained singer, and you can tell so on this album.

This album is very well able to compare itself to many other metal albums out there. In my own opinion, I absolutely adore the song, Veil of Maya. It shows just how much time it takes to write great music, I figured this out when I tried learning Veil of Maya on guitar. Impossible for me. I love the album's music, lyrics and song structure. I think that the sound quality is a bit fuzzy, and could be mixed a bit better (even on the 2004 remastered edition) I would buy this album if it were stolen or lost, of course. It's one of my most prized CDs.

syl-rules04
    i finaly bought this album! it was the only cynic cd in the store sadly, i wanted traced in air to haha