Thrash Zone review by D.R.I.

D.R.I.: Thrash Zone

Good lord, no one has ever written a review for any D.R.I. album yet, so I think I'll just start reviewing one now. The sound on this album kicks arse. The title of the album really speaks volumes about the sound. It came out in 1989, the year I was born, and it's sometimes considered one of the best albums of the "crossover metal" genre, which coined from D.R.I.'s third album "Crossover" and the genre basically sums up the sound of the thrash metal/hardcore punk hybird.

The lyrics on this album are all kind of fine. Singer Kurt Brecht has a fine strong voice, but it compares to "what you call" anger on a few of the songs like "You Say I'm Scum", "Drown You Out". Short songs like "You Say I'm Scum" easily could have been on the first Suicidal Tendencies, or even on the band's Dirty Rotten LP and no one would have blinked. Spike Cassidy's guitar riffs on some songs from this album kind of rips off the sound of early 80s punk bands like Minor Threat, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, Circle Jerks or some of the early material by Bad Religion before their Suffer album. Lyric issues on this album range from societal issues to personal conflicts.

My favorite songs on this album are "Thrashard", "Beneath the Wheel", "You Say I'm Scum", "Gun Control", "Drown You Out", any others. This is the only D.R.I. album I have right now so far. If you're not familiar with those guys, they were one of the first-ever bands that helped create the "crossover" genre along with Suicidal Tendencies, Faith No More, Anthrax, any other bands you could think of. You should check out this album, Dealing With It, Dirty Rotten LP, any others, if you're a D.R.I. fan. It's just too bad their 1995 release Full Speed Ahead, would be their final album, but they have continued touring like crazy. However, I heard that they have been working on a new release for about a few years, but for chrissakes, they should stop delaying it as I really want to hear what Kurt Brecht and co. have been up to all these years.

nickwarhead
    Personally I like "four of a kind" and "crossover" better. Why would you say "four of a kind" is unfocused and weak?
    SuicidalFreak
    Good to see some D.R.I. on this site. This album is definitely great, so is Dealing With It! and Crossover.