Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life Review

Dakota Suite: Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life
Released: 2007
Genre: Experimental Indie
Label: Glitterhouse, Planting Seeds Records
The best way to describe the sound of this album is slow and soft.
 4.4
 7.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life Reviewed by: stepco12345, on march 04, 2011

Sound: The best way to describe the sound of this album is slow and soft. There is never the presence of harsh, loud sounds or noises. Dakota Suite brings a gloomy, sorrowful sound to this album. Through the plentiful use of string instruments on this album; the long, drawn notes from a violin or the powerful striking of a piano, Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life conveys a real sadness to the listener. The music is able to paint a picture and express itself in an appropriate fashion. I was able to connect with this album from the first listen because it was easy for me to pick up what the album was trying to say. The album offered a sound that was easy to draw an emotional attachment too. It doesn't offer anything fancy, the music is pretty straight-forward, however it accomplishes what it does so well, that it drew me in and I found myself wanting to listen to the album again. Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life, while generally sticking to the slowcore template, does not become stagnant. Each track offers a little something different to hold interest. For example the track Because Our Lie Breathes Differently presents more horn and piano into the song while I'm Leaving You has a main instrument focus on guitar and slight piano. Dakota Suite mixes things up on each track a little bit, just enough that the listener can hear the beautiful sorrow play out and experience something new at the same time. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics to this album follow much of the music. They are sombre in theme and parallel the beautiful despair of the sound. However, I found the lyrics to be one of the main weaknesses of the album. While I would not say the lyric writing is bad, it is just that I feel they do not add anything of great importance to the album. I felt on Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life, the music itself does the better job of supporting a feeling and an idea. For example, on the first half of Because Our Lie Breathes Differently, there is no vocals, but the sad story is understood before the singer even begins. The vocalist himself, adds well to the music. While what he is singing may not impress me very much, how he sings it really contributed to the music. There is not much range in the vocals, but they have a pleasant tenderness to them. The vocals are an additional, beautiful instrument on this album and compliments everything else very well. The vocals fit the genre and the sound perfectly and made the listening experience even better. // 7

Overall Impression: Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life is a good effort from Dakota Suite and is a positive experience for anyone who is a fan of the slowcore genre. It is not a masterpiece, but the album is definitely worth a buy or check out. The slow, melancholy sound of this album made me escape from my surroundings and experience a different atmosphere. Compared to other bands and artists in the genre, they definitely compete. They separate themselves enough to provide something new, yet incorporate elements that make slowcore fans fall in love with them. I absolutely love the instrumentation on this album. Dakota Suite uses the violin, piano, guitar, drums and vocals all in a way that fits and creates a beautiful sound. Waiting For The Dawn To Crawl Through And Take Away Your Life does not have a bad track on it. Even though the lyrics are not up to the level I hoped they would be, everything else makes up for it. This album is playing and will be played regularly from my library. It may not be a perfect 10, but this album has become a favourite in my collection. I am definitely glad I found out about Dakota Suite and this album. This album is worth checking out. // 8

Comments