Marching In review by Dan Sindel

Dan Sindel: Marching In

John Philip Sousa, the March King, is buried at the Congressional Cemetery in Washington DC. His legacy has been celebrated since his death in 1932-perhaps most famously through Monty Python's use of The Liberty Bell during the credits of Monty Python and the Flying Circus. Dan Sindel is next in line to deliver his take on The March King, but this time, Sousa has been immortalised through the use of myriads of guitar-layered tracks. Sindel excels on world-renowned composition, The Washington Post, first performed in 1889. The beauty of Sindel's guitar work is the sheer depth of the mix, as he indulges the listener in a truly breathtaking rendition of the timeless classic. Sindel's work is best heard through headphones; through which the listener can fully appreciate the attention to detail Sindel has gone through the trouble of achieving. Utilising his full board of pedals, Sindel's sound and tone are achieved through his close collaboration with some of the all time greats, such as Rick Shlosser, with whom notable artists such as Alice Cooper, Rod Stewart, Van Morrison, Cher and Diana Ross have worked. Sindel's mastery of the instrument is phenomenal; a much welcome breath of innovation in the development of instrumental guitar work is what Sindel has achieved, with guitar solos bouncing off each other, as he incorporates flawless technique after flawless technique in reproducing arguably one of the finest guitar-orientated albums of 2008. Not only do his recordings break the innovation threshold, but his performance at NAMM has to be seen to be believed, and fortunately, you can do just that by visiting his myspace page, which can be found at: http://www.myspace.com/dansindel.

Despite this being an instrumental album, it is indisputably expressive, as Sindel's love of what he does resplendently shines through. He Shall Feed His Flock provides the greatest acoustic arrangement of the year; the accompanying lead guitar playing is distinctive, poignant, and sombre: Sindel speaks through his technique and overwhelming brilliance, as his guitar sheds its skin, entering a realm beyond what this world can offer.

When the UG editor first directed me to Dan's webpage, I was initially apprehensive of what I was about to hear. Somehow, a guitarist's tribute to one of the greatest composers of all time did not stand out to me as anything remarkable. What is remarkable is Dan's inimitable capacity to completely dispel initial doubts. After listening to Dan's tracks, I hurriedly contacted him, flabbergasted, touched, both by his sincerity and intensity. A final point to address is where Dan can go from here, or rather where he cannot; it is safe to say that Dan's unique endeavour and talent should see his ripples transpose from calm waters to roaring storms.

peaceful
    dan's marching in is, to me, as brilliant as freddy mercurys bohemian rhapsody rock opera of his time. he is the most talented guitar player i've heard, hands down. it's about time that he's getting heard, and in no time, i think he'll be heard by a wider audience than most would think. i'm a die hard fan. peace---jd/CT
    dsindel
    WOW, I am humbled and honored by this glowing review! I am very happy to know that the Ultimate Guitar staff enjoyed the music just as much as I did recording it..! This is a well respected site and I must say I was knocked out by what was written here..! Thank you once again and as always looking forward. Best regards, Dan Sindel
    songirl
    Dan Sindel will 'aw shucks' his way to stardom- full steam ahead from unknown to renown!This guy who plays like a fretless wonder will always be the same polite , modest person no matter how (inevitably) famous he becomes.
    songirl
    Dan Sindel will go fromunknown to renown in record time and be the same polite, modest guy he has always been while blazing a trail as a fretless wonder.
    guitar-fan
    I think because he tackled being the whole band he' proven he's technically proficient, a master at guitar. It's scary to think what this guy could play. Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendirx? I bet he's already done that and moved on to something different.