Danava Review

Danava: Danava
Release Date: Oct 31, 2006
Label: Kemado
Genres: Neo-Prog
Danava is a record that continues a long-standing tradition of musical respect.
 5.9
 7.3
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Danava Reviewed by: rock_and_blues, on july 24, 2007

Sound: Anyone who loves stoner rock/metal or classice rock will enjoy this CD. This album could be described as fuzzed out riffing, which then melts into complete psychedellic mayhem. This is the general sound of the album, hard ass guitar riffs, with some trippy interludes, with a very epic feel. The album also has some progressive influences as well, with several musical changes, odd time signatures, and very long compositions (The longest being Eyes In Disguise at 12:48) There is also a lot of keyboard work, however it fits the songs nicely. When I bought this record I bought it on a whim. I simply bought it because of Danava's label, Kemmado Records, who are one of the best record labels out there (in my opinon). It definetly paid off. The only (slight)problem I found was that the tracks can sound abit repeatitive, but since this is the band's first album, I think they are just trying to find their sound. // 8

Lyrics: To be honest this was the one part that didn't stand out for me, there were very interesting lyrics (for example "They're more than gods, they're more than gods, they're more than gods." or "This is the last idea forever." were particular ones that caught my eye) however they were over-shadowed by the music (it seemed like the music was the main focus with the lyrics being an after thought). The vocals also have heavy effects on them (however it compliments the sound nicely), and have a somewhat nasally Ozzy-esque feel to them. // 6

Overall Impression: I loved this album. It is just one in a long line of rock revivalist (such as The Sword, Wolfmother, Preistess, and Witch), which, hopefully, can put heavy ass rock/metal back into the mainstream. The album most definetly invokes an epic feeling while it's on and demands attention. The thing I love about this album is that it has that classic heavy, hard rock feel, yet still sounds modern and unique. I also love the long songs, and the fuzzed out psychedellic interludes. If this CD was lost/stolen I would immediately re-buy it, it has become one of my favorite CDs, and I'm sure Danava will be one of the leading members of the stoner rock/metal genre. // 8

Comments