Dance Gavin Dance review by Dance Gavin Dance

• Released: Aug 19, 2008
Dance Gavin Dance: Dance Gavin Dance

With the less of Johnny Craig in late 2007, it seemed Dance Gavin Dance had lost the most important element of the band, a voice that many would say got them recognized. Not long after Johnny's departure, the band found their new singer Kurt Travis (formerly of Five Minute Ride) and began writing and recording almost immediately. The new album itself is a lot more complete than their previous effort, Downtown Battle Mountain, and is amazing to say the least. The band have stuck with the same half screamed/half melodic vocal idea and singers switch leads often, and Kurt's voice really shines on this record. Some old fans of the band might thn he is unable to replace Johnny but his addition has contributed the band's new sound, with the songs on this album being much me structured and catchier choruses than they have ever had before (Burning Down The Nicotine Armoire Pt. 2). The guitarwork is just fantastic, with strong guitarlines littered throughout everysong, the basswork is amazing and Matt kills on the drums.

DGD are known for their crazy lyrics and this album definately isn't short of them, but that's one of the elements that makes the band unique, they'll throw anything they want into their music and still be able to pull it off. Kurt's parts really do show off his voice, and he proves to be very good with vocal melody, and their screamer Jon Mess still gets a very good amount of mic time, which is and extremely good thing as the songs just wouldn't be complete without him.

This is an extremely good album, and if you aren't familiar with thisband, just jump straight into this album. It's amazing work from start to finish and there are a lot of suprises, along with a decent amount of humour (Rock Solid for example). Most ipressive songs on the album are easily 'Uneasy Hearts Weigh The Most' for originality, Rock Solid, Burning Down The Nicotine Armoire Pt2, and their closing title 'People You Know' takes on a very different angle and is a great way to finish the album, with Jon having a very strong screaming part. There really isn't much to hate about this album and I would struggle to find any flaws because this is the new DGD, and DGD at their best. They've proved they don't need Johnny, and may have even emerged stronger in the long run. Get it.

Faux~Affliction
    tfotguitarist
    I disagree I don't think the guitar parts to this cd are as good without Sean Kurt's voice is nowhere near Johnny's and only 2 original members are left now... makes me sad
    qotsa1998
    I like this album. I really liked Downtown Battle Mountain, and this album is just as good, just in different ways. Kurt's voice is alot different than Jonny's which is good. Kurt has more range, believe it or not. And Jon's screaming sounds different now, which isnt bad. And i really like that they got Matt from Lower Definition and Chino Moreno to do guest spots. Matt really makes Rock Solid, and Chino does a good job on Caviar. It seems like this album is better than Downtown Battle Mountain, and even tho i havent listened to this one nearly as many times as Downtown Battle Mountain, it very well could be. Altho Jon's gone now, which will be a major change for them, and possibly an exciting one.
    ryot44
    i really think johnny craig was their secret weapon. and the screamer has always really sucked to me. i think old DGD is better. but everyone has an opinion i guess.
    shdowfox17
    i agree that its sooo much catchier now before they didnt have as many strong hooks this one is littered with alot and its a good thing and their musical talent is impressive the basslines,guitarwork and drum lines are amazing! amazing album imo
    HeavyDT
    i just cant get over the guitar work on this cd every song has alot of memorable parts and yeah the vocals are amazing too even though silly at times.
    ryot44
    music is not something u can put on a pedestal (so to speak) based on how catchy a song is. its all how the songs form together. emotion, dynamics, etc. the album is sick as ****, very different from how they used to sound. i just miss johnny lol. but hey, we have a new emarosa now so cant complain there.
    trev32
    This album is definitley a step up from their other albums. It's sad to see all the members leaving and stuff though. I'm so glad I got to see them before anyone left, I saw Craig's last show with them. Kurt is really good too, and obviously he doesnt' replace him because Jonny's voice is TOO unique to replace, but he does a damn good job.
    blink182plus44
    Capn Crunch
    blink182plus44 wrote: this is definitely a step down. why do they have to say the f word every other line it doesnt even fit good it sounds like a 6th grader swearing to sound cool
    And I love how your profile is "blink182plus44". I like the swearing on this album because it shows their not afraid to screw around a little bit and push the boundaries of just regular ol' lyrical tactics. Blink 182 is terrific though, anyways
    Pittman
    I think this album might be better than Downtown Battle Mountain, but not as good as Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean. Although the swearing is a bit much lol.
    a dozen furies
    best dance gavin dance album ever the robot with human hair part 3 is the best song on the album and the next three tracks (the hot water on wool tracks and uneasy hearts weigh the most)are pure love making music and im not lying my girlfriend loved the tunes while we were doing the no pants dance!! LOL
    protesthehero
    Faux~Affliction wrote: Its not the same without John Mess either this album sounds alot more.. amateur then Downtown Battle Mountain aswell, almost as if they went backwards down to Royal Ocean. Still a great CD though.
    john mess is in this one dumby