Downtown Battle Mountain review by Dance Gavin Dance

• Released: May 15, 2007
Dance Gavin Dance: Downtown Battle Mountain

The sound was great, but technically didn't change since their past album. The guitarists are quite unique, playing riffs and solos all the time like they were possessed or something, and listening to the album forever wouldn't give you a clue who the lead dude nor the rhythm dude is, or maybe both of them are the lead dudes. And since the guitars don't play pretty heavy stuff for the band, it's all the responsibility of the drummer and the screamer. And I think they did a pretty good job doing so. I really didn't appreciate the bassist, but if the vocalist would be the topic, that's a different story. The vocalist is really a very unique one, holding high notes and giving every lyric that harmonious approach, and with lunacy. You won't find any voice like that anywhere. Ever.

The lyrics were very hard to understand, specially those screamed, and the way they sang the lyrics were very odd, the vocalist sings then followed by the screamer, as if they were having a confrontation or something. The lyrics was deep, and was able to comprehend with the music so much. The singer was, as I said before, amazing. He can hold high notes, and, gives them harmonious approach, and, I've said that before, you see? He's just great.

Pretty nothing changed in Dance Gavin Dance since their past album: whining guitar riffs all throughout the atmosphere, a monotonous bass guitar in the background, sick drumbeats, a technically gifted vocalist and a mentally challenged screamer, all in one. Songs are all very impressive, thanks to guitar dudes 1 and 2, and to Mr. Johnny Craig(vocal dude). Some stuff are cool too, like the acoustic track, the last track I think, where you can actually sink your ears on the "orgasmic" voice of the Johnny. Well, I just hate the fact that at this very moment, Johnny is no longer a member of Dance Gavin Dance. Well, in the album there is none to hate. If it was lost, no it wont be. I'll never let that happen. Never.