Downtown Battle Mountain review by Dance Gavin Dance

• Released: May 15, 2007
Dance Gavin Dance: Downtown Battle Mountain

I first heard a short clip of the song "And I told them I Invented Times New Roman" in a video, and right away, Johnny Craig's voice had me hooked. I went out and bought the CD after listening to several other tracks, and the album is definatly not dissapointing. It kinda reminded me of Underoath, with deeper screaming and higher-pitched singing. The guitars are great, with fast riffs, lots of tremolo-picked leads, and heavy rythm parts. Combined with a punchy, deep bass tone that is not buried in the mix, and a really good double-kick drummer, they have unique, unmistakeable sound.

The lyrics in some of the songs are hard to understand, but in some songs, such as It's Safe to Say You Dig the Backseat, they really are'nt too difficult to understand. Often times, Johnny will sing a line or two, and then the screaming will come afterwards or during the lines. While the screaming isnt too clear or defined, it is deep enough to balance out Johnny's melodic singing. My favorite song it probably Antlion, which shows off Johnny's amazing range. Lyrically, the CD has some rather strange songs, with some dark lyrics at times, which fits with the dark, low feeling of some of the songs. The band clims he was drunk all through the writing and recording of the album, but it doesn't seem that way at all. He has one of the biggest ranges and maybe the most unique style of singing in rock/punk/post-hardcore in my opinion. it's comparable to Craig Owens of Chiodos or Circa Survive's singer Anthony Green.

In my mind, this is a great post-hardcore/emocore album. The songs that impressed me most were Antlion, Backwards Pumpkin Song, Open Your Eyes and Look North, and Lemon Merigue Tie, but every song is a great one. the last track, 12 hours, 630 Miles, is very different from the rest of the album, being more atmospheric and acoustic, and closes out the album well. All in all, it is well worth the purchase, even though it has only 9 real songs on it. I would definately buy it again if I had to, but thanks to computers, I have the entire album safely on my hard drive. Even tho Johnny is now with the band Emarosa, and the new singer Kurt Travis doesn't exactly have Johnny's voice, I'm still looking forward to their next album. If you like Chiodos, Circa Survive, or Underoath, this album might end up among your favorites.

Pittman
    The new singer is good,but completely different from Johnny Its cool Johnny is in Emarosa now though but Dance Gavin Dance's drummer is amazing
    sigur_ros6
    lilbigmacca
    sigur_ros6 wrote: emarosa is worse with johnny and dgd is worse without johnny lose lose situation
    Yup. :\ Two good bands, down the shitpan. Good music, R.I.P.
    Bassman 561
    emarosa is amazing now. like circa survive only heavier. jonny can full lead a band now, not be marred down by screaming. and on the new dgd record, kurt did a decent job filling in for jonny. but it still isn't the same
    r0ckth3d34n
    This was the last good CD by Dance Gavin Dance. Happiness sucks and is nothing compared to this one.