Downtown Battle Mountain II review by Dance Gavin Dance

• Released: Mar 8, 2011
Dance Gavin Dance: Downtown Battle Mountain II

Erratic. Random. Funky. All words that very accurately label Dance Gavin Dance's new release, which finds original vocalists Jonny Craig and Jon Mess back on their mics. Downtown Battle Mountain 2 doesn't neccisarily pick up where DTBM 1 left off. Instead, it reinvents the Dance Gavin Dance wheel (again) to offer a completely unique listening experience. The album kicks off with Spooks, which pretty much sums up the entire album: this will be one weird journey. The song opens with the sexy strains of Jonny's voice, which segways into Jon's spastic (and vastly improved) screaming, and flows well into a short rap (no you didn't misread that) by guitar virtuoso Will Swan. The instrumentation is amazing as always this go-around, with Swan writing all of the guitar parts, and like the first DTBM, Matt Mingus' drum parts cut through the mix triumphantly.

DGD are back at the top of their game with both of their original vocalists in the mix. Jonny, as always, croons and swoons melodically over the chaotic mix, and screamer Jon Mess screams like an epileptic seisure, but with a tad more class and flow. Lyrically, this album is way out in the ether. Jon admitted recently in an interview that most of their lyrics are written for artistic flow, rather than for creating an overall "meaning", and this is very obvious. In the album's first single, Heat Seeking Ghost of Sex, Jon screams the following abstract jem of a line: Don't be tardy for my leaky Barbie TV party pee in the park. Yeah....may not make ANY sense, but the delivery more than makes up for the relative lack of meaningful content.

Downtown Battle Mountain 2 is the comeback old DGD fans have been looking for, and more. It combines the best things from every era of the band: the original DTBM vocal stylings, the Happiness funk, and the Death Star Album songwriting strength. I can honestly come up with no things in particular that I hate about this album even after 10+ attentive listens. Song highlights for me include Bounce Pounce, The Robot With Human Hair pt. 2-1/2, Thug City, and Swan Soup. Now lets just hope this lineup will hold together long enough to make a DTBM3. And no, this album does NOT include a macbook.

mattplayscheap
    This has to be one of the best albums that I have heard so far in 2011, i just hope that by the end of the year it will get noticed. Usually albums that come out year in the year are often over looked. DGD is such a messy, beautfiul, talented band.
    sobyyyy
    All of the people Hating on their new album, lack in taste and understanding of music. The lyrics might not have any realy Meaning, but thats besides the point that Dance Gavin Dance are a unique talented band. Vocally and instrumentally, they sound amazing. Im not at all dissapointed with this new album. I'm actually very impressed. But then again, thats just my opinion. We shouldn't argue about, what singer is better or lyrics. Just enjoy the music. If you're a true Dance Gavin Dance fan, you will love them regardless.
    leo11x
    LOL, poor Jonny and his macbooks... The best album Ive heard this year so far, and the best album of the band, it probably would be awesome to have kurt at least on one song in this album.
    OceansBetweenUs
    haven't heard the album, but what a disappointment this band is. the first DTBM set such high hopes...