Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean review by Dance Gavin Dance

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Dance Gavin Dance: Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean

Being Dance Gavin Dance's EP, "Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean" is definitely the stepping stone of the band for paving their pathway in the post-hardcore scene. I first heard their song "The Robot With Human Hair Pt. 2" and I was mesmerized by the vocalist's orgasmic voice, and quickly decided to buy their CD. I found their guitarists very amusing, playing their guitars like there's no tomorrow. I noticed they often used tremolo picking in almost every track in the EP, anyway, it was great. The drummer was also great. The screamer was more of an average screamer any post-hardcore band can have, but sounds great when paired off with their vocalist. The vocalist was definitely something very unique. The vocalist had a great voice, and can handle lots of high notes, and the way he sang was very different, probably sounds like R&B. All in all, it sounds unique.

It was pretty hard to decipher what the lyrics meant in every song, probably like those of "Circle Takes The Square", in short, the lyrics had a deep meaning. The band sang out the lines uniquely, the vocalist sings, then followed by screams. It depicted anger and gloom, and the lyrics were deep, written very cleverly. And the way the singer sang every line was fantastic, like massaging your eardrums. I wonder if he had thoughts of taking auditions to American Idol. Well, if you wanted an ear spa, you should listen to them.

This EP definitely shows that Dance Gavin Dance is not your ordinary post-hardcore band out there playing stuff that sounds like the others. The singer's voice is definitely a must-hear. The album is a must have for any post-hardcore fans out there. Awesome.