Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean review by Dance Gavin Dance

• Released: Nov 14, 2006
Dance Gavin Dance: Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean

Dance Gavin Dance's first release, Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean, has taken many of the good aspects from hardcore music and combined them with other aspects of different genres of music and combined it in a way that flows fluidly with just the right amount of sharpness and jazz to contrast the hardcore tone set by the drums and some of the guitar. The guitar riffs aren't "flashy" on this record to many people because their lack of solos or generic, monotonous riffs put forth in other types of music but it is layered and fitted together in such a way that it complements the music in a way, because of the guitarist skills with tapping, alternate picking, and creating easy flowing riffs, that a solo could not pull off. The drummer is outstading, matt mingus is one of my favorite drummers becuase he dosent overuse double bass and dosent play generic drum beats and it really puts an amazing touch on this ep. Their singer is one of the best, if not the best, singers I have every heard and his voices flows with the music pushing their hardcore sound into a psuedo-jazz type sound.

Dance Gavin Dance makes their lyrics by creating a melody that fits with the music well, then they go back in and fill the melody with words that dosent change the melody even if they make sense or not. there is no really given point to the lyrics or direct aim except to make the best melodic complement to the music possible. The singer and the screamer put an amazing touch to the music, Jon Mess has a different style of screaming where as Jonny Craig has an amazing voice and a complete different styling than anyone else in their genre.

This album has a great sounds. If it was lost or stolen I would definatly by it again. I love the new sounds they have fused and it's a shame they have strayed so far from this sound. I would have to say Burning Down the Nicotine Armior and The Robot with Human Hair pt. 2 are the two most impressive songs off the EP to me but there really isnt a bad song on there. I've been listening to the CD for a long long time and it has yet to get old.

Bassman 561
    sigur has it. its not the same without jonny craig. but the band he is in now, emarosa, is one of the best bands out there.
    huevos
    sigur_ros6 wrote: this is what dance gavin dance was all about sean was an incredible song writer and guitarist and after he left it all went down hill but consider the thief is better than dance gavin dance now anyways. so i guess he made a wise decision and all you people that are getting into this band now that kurt is the singer and only 2 remaining members are left (matt and will) buy this cd, and realize the potential this band had.
    In a live setting, I actually prefer Kurt Travis-era DGD. Not saying the other songs don't have the punch, but it's something that I would listen to for more introspective reasons. I would kill to see Jonny Craig when he was in DGD live.
    sigur_ros6