Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean [EP] Review

Label: Rise
Genres: Post-Hardcore, Emo
 8.9
Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean [EP] Reviewed by: tucker69, on january 29, 2008

Sound: Being Dance Gavin Dance's EP, "Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean" is definitely the stepping stone of the band for paving their pathway in the post-hardcore scene. I first heard their song "The Robot With Human Hair Pt. 2" and I was mesmerized by the vocalist's orgasmic voice, and quickly decided to buy their CD. I found their guitarists very amusing, playing their guitars like there's no tomorrow. I noticed they often used tremolo picking in almost every track in the EP, anyway, it was great. The drummer was also great. The screamer was more of an average screamer any post-hardcore band can have, but sounds great when paired off with their vocalist. The vocalist was definitely something very unique. The vocalist had a great voice, and can handle lots of high notes, and the way he sang was very different, probably sounds like R&B. All in all, it sounds unique. // 9

Lyrics: It was pretty hard to decipher what the lyrics meant in every song, probably like those of "Circle Takes The Square", in short, the lyrics had a deep meaning. The band sang out the lines uniquely, the vocalist sings, then followed by screams. It depicted anger and gloom, and the lyrics were deep, written very cleverly. And the way the singer sang every line was fantastic, like massaging your eardrums. I wonder if he had thoughts of taking auditions to American Idol. Well, if you wanted an ear spa, you should listen to them. // 8

Overall Impression: This EP definitely shows that Dance Gavin Dance is not your ordinary post-hardcore band out there playing stuff that sounds like the others. The singer's voice is definitely a must-hear. The album is a must have for any post-hardcore fans out there. Awesome. // 9

Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean [EP] Reviewed by: Drewski2113, on may 26, 2008

Sound: Dance Gavin Dance's first release, Whatever I Say Is Royal Ocean, has taken many of the good aspects from hardcore music and combined them with other aspects of different genres of music and combined it in a way that flows fluidly with just the right amount of sharpness and jazz to contrast the hardcore tone set by the drums and some of the guitar. The guitar riffs aren't "flashy" on this record to many people because their lack of solos or generic, monotonous riffs put forth in other types of music but it is layered and fitted together in such a way that it complements the music in a way, because of the guitarist skills with tapping, alternate picking, and creating easy flowing riffs, that a solo could not pull off. The drummer is outstading, matt mingus is one of my favorite drummers becuase he dosent overuse double bass and dosent play generic drum beats and it really puts an amazing touch on this ep. Their singer is one of the best, if not the best, singers I have every heard and his voices flows with the music pushing their hardcore sound into a psuedo-jazz type sound. // 9

Lyrics: Dance Gavin Dance makes their lyrics by creating a melody that fits with the music well, then they go back in and fill the melody with words that dosent change the melody even if they make sense or not. there is no really given point to the lyrics or direct aim except to make the best melodic complement to the music possible. The singer and the screamer put an amazing touch to the music, Jon Mess has a different style of screaming where as Jonny Craig has an amazing voice and a complete different styling than anyone else in their genre. // 8

Overall Impression: This album has a great sounds. If it was lost or stolen I would definatly by it again. I love the new sounds they have fused and it's a shame they have strayed so far from this sound. I would have to say Burning Down the Nicotine Armior and The Robot with Human Hair pt. 2 are the two most impressive songs off the EP to me but there really isnt a bad song on there. I've been listening to the CD for a long long time and it has yet to get old. // 10

Comments