Circle Of Snakes review by Danzig

• Released: Aug 31, 2004
  • Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Danzig: Circle Of Snakes

I continue to buy every thing that Danzig releases out of loyalty to his past. The first time I heard Danzig I was in high school in the 80's. I was so drunk but through the haze someone was playing the first Danzig LP and the dark melodic music called to me and I slurred to the room that I was getting this album tommorrow because it was incredible. I had already begun to discover The Misfits thanks to Metallica and Guns N Roses talking about them in interviews and covering their music (see Garage Days Metallica.) Even before I heard Danzig solo I had already worn through a tape of Walk Among Us. The next day I did get that Danzig album and everyone after that. I also bought every Samhain and Misfits album I could get ahold of. In my mind, Danzig could not put out a bad cd. Even Black Aria was amazing. At times, listening to that album I could almost hear the battle between the rebel angels and the ones that stayed with God. One day in college I walked into the record store on what would be the day of release of Blackacidevil. I was overjoyed that Danzig had another album out and I had heard nothing about it. My joy turned to disappointment as soon as the cd was played in my stereo. I couldn't believe that this was the Danzig that had put out so many quality albums. Before 5 it was hard pressed for me to find a song that Danzig had done that I hadn't liked. Now I was hardpressed to find a song that I liked. As Danzig has released CD's after 5 I often wonder to myself why he would hide his vocals beneath the guitars? Why did he leave the genius of Rick Rubin? Why did he fire all john christ and co? Every album I buy I long for the old days. This new album Circle Of Snakes has a feel of the old danzig the one of legends on one through four but again the vocals are hidden by Tommy Victors guitar. I don't know about other Danzig fans but I prefer Christ to Victor any day.

The one redeeming quality of this album is the last song. It reminds me of danzig of old. It's powerful. I love to workout with weights. Danzig is on my stereo 90% of the time when I do because of the power and energy his music used to provide. The last song reminds of this. Maybe someone will mix it properly and get it played on the radio probably wishful thinking. I will continue to buy Danzig albums as they come out hoping that some day he truly will return to form. Maybe his colab with Jerry Cantrell will do this one can hope can't he?

fendercobain87
    this is my favorite danzig album, the whole album was ****ing heavy skincarver was ****ing bad ass they took this album and basically redefined danzig. glenn still has cant wait till his next album drops.