Danzig review by Danzig

Danzig: Danzig

This is Danzig's debut album, after leaving the Misfits and renaming Samhain to simply Danzig. The tone of the album is dark with heavy mid-tempo riffs. Unlike a lot of metal, the focal point of this album is not the guitar but Glenn Danzig's vocals wich have developped after since leaving the misfits. The man really know's how to sing and give the sounds a very deep dark mood to them, sometimes he may sound abit cheesy also, James Hetfield from metallica even did some backup vocals for the song "Twist Of Cain". The guitar may not be the heavies or innovative but there's some catchy riffs and hooks thrown in there.

The lyrics, are well, pretty cheesy at times. Some songs sound pretty good like Twist of Cain, and Mother. Then there are songs like Am I Demon which are laughable at some points. Some of the lyrics may be awful, but others are classic metal subjects, The devil, the end of the world, conflict. Despite some of the lyrics are crap, Danzig delivers then very powerfully and can make them sounds better than they really are. Danzig's vocals proformance on "Not Of This World" os definitly one of the higher points of the album.

This is the only Danzig album I've heard and I really like it, don't love it, but it's pretty damn good. I would've liked to hear some faster songs, because just about every song is around the same tempo. Like I said, the vocals are the focal point of the album and man are they awesome, very powerfull, very haunting. The best songs are "Twist Of Cain", "Not Of This World", "Mother" and "The Hunter". I would recomend this any metal new commers, great album to get started with.

irontremelo
    Great ****ing album. Glenn Danzig energetic lyrics and John Christ guitar riffs are so heavy, like Twist of Cain and Am I Demon just make you want go ****in crazy and headbang for hours.