Deth Red Sabaoth review by Danzig

• Released: Jun 22, 2010
Danzig: Deth Red Sabaoth

Glenn Danzig's first three solos albums are essential. You can't carry around and iPod or have a CD collection that excludes them and consider yourself a self-respecting metalhead. Seriously. Some of the albums Danzig has released later in his career are good, but not great. Some songs are great. I am pleased to report that with Deth Red Sabaoth, which simultaneously makes me think of Megadeth and Black Sabbath because of its title, is Danzig's best work in quite some time. He certainly is going for a classic sound: there's a real thunderous, '70s rock vibe to the album's production and guitar work and even his vocal melodies, but more on those later.

When I interviews Glenn recently for AOL Noisecreep, he told me that he wanted this to be an album that rattles the dashboard of your car when you play it and he has succeeded in that mission, as much of Deth Red Sabaoth boasts a bottom end that you can feel in your chest. The album nixes any of that sterile, polished to perfection sound that so many bands today capture in the studio but cannot replicate live. "Hammer Of The Gods," "Revengeful," with its shrieky riff, and the solo-laden "Rebel Spirit" are vintage Danzig and vintage-sounding. Red Deth Sabaoth is proof that you don't need to play ultra fast to be granite heavy. Here, the slow, deliberate riffery is what creates that heaviness. "Black Candy" comes four songs on and it reminds me of "She Rides," and sounds like it could have been written in that era.

Glenn's signature voice doesn't deviate from what it does best and that is really what we all need and want it to do. His low, ominous and ultimately soulful vocalizations about demonically inclined subjects are here and appreciated as usual. So I issue this challenge, on behalf of Glenn Danzig. Head out to your car and turn this music on. Blare it from your stereo. As loud as you can. It does not matter if you use an actual CD or an iPod adapter. Now hit the road and see if your ride doesn't feel if it's going to fall apart from the bolts from the sheer power that is omnipresent on Deth Red Sabaoth. The low end boom of the rhythm section is certainly complemented by Glenn's from-the-depths-of-his gut style of singing. His voice is truly showcased on "On a Wicked Night"; it feels slightly processed and sails over a simple but dream-haunting acoustic riff.

We've waited over half a decade to hear original compositions from Danzig. It was worth the wait, as Deth Red Sabaoth allows the singer to reside comfortably in his wheelhouse surrounded by sultry guitars, lots of bottom heavy instrumentation and the exploration of the darker side of life; rather than running away from things that would terrify the average person, Danzig embraces it. Deth Red Sabaoth is a quality offering that won't replace his first three albums in anyone's mind but will surely jog your memory as to why you loved this artist in the first place.

rickyj
    not a fan of this album, i prefered the old stuff. you can listen to the entire album on youtube.
    Dakkstar
    what killed it for me was the mindless noodling for solos. Though the album was good and it was great to hear Danzig sing the way he used to before blackacidevil, the solos were awful.
    HoneyofRuin
    No surprise. Terrible review from a terrible reviewer. Tha album is good. I really enjoyed it.
    scrymusic
    Deth Red Moon = "Mother" .. This should have been his first single if you ask me... Great album! Listen to Pyre Of Souls: Incanticle starting at 2:15 .. This will show you that his voice has not lost power and range... Fucking Killer!!!