The Lost Tracks Of Danzig review by Danzig

• Released: May 29, 2007
Danzig: The Lost Tracks Of Danzig

It's pretty hard to believe that Glenn Danzig, the man behind bands like The Misfits, Samhain, and Danzig, has been making records for 30 years now. While his music hasn't ever really translated over to mainstream society or radio airplay, the body of work he's produced is fairly amazing. The latest release The Lost Tracks Of Danzig is a 2-disc CD set from his current band Danzig and takes a look back at some of the songs that didn't quite make the cut of his studio albums. Most of the songs do keep to the same unholy, yet sexy sound that Danzig made famous, but there are a few very cool surprises among the bunch.

The reasons why the tracks didn't originally get the green light are covered in the liner notes, and that's actually one of the fascinating aspects about the collection. Angel Of The 7th Dawn and You Should Be Dying are fantastic bluesy numbers that are fairly standard for Danzig, and actually would have been fitting additions to Danzig II: Lucifuge. According to the notes, producer Rick Rubin thought the time change in You Should Be Dying was weird. It's actually a very subtle time change at the beginning and end, adding a bit more depth to the song. Considering most bands just from time change to time change, it's wild to think something like that would have caused a song to be put on the backburner.

One of the biggest standout tracks has apparently been one of the most requested, despite it never being officially released on a studio record. While Glenn Danzig usually has a Jim Morrison sound about him, in Cold, Cold Rain he sounds eerily like Elvis Presley singing a gospel song. The track is a full-out, sweet-sounding ballad that didn't fit in with the batch of songs the band was recording at the time. In this case, it is a huge leap away from the usual Danzig faire, but that's what makes this song one of the most worthwhile listens.

The quality of the recording gets much better on the 2nd CD, and it's obviously because of the improved recording quality as time passed. But besides that fact, the songwriting takes a few different turns on the later recordings, with more elaborate guitar work and use of vocal doubling effects. A few tracks to check out are Crawl Across Your Killing Floor, Malefical, and the low-key groove of Dying Seraph.

Danzig's lyrics have always been, shall we say, focused on the darker side of life, and the titles leave little to the imagination. But just when you have the band pegged, they start to sing with introspective honesty that has little to do with Lucifer, eating souls, or evil beats in general.

For the most part, you will get songs like Deep, which represent the bulk of the material, complete with heavy talk about sin and spirit. Danzig sings, God and life; They don't come free; Crown of thorns; Strung through their teeth. While some might think these lyrics are a tad melodramatic, fans shouldn't flinch in the slightest and Danzig does usually use enough imagery to keep things interesting.

If you didn't like Danzig in the past, The Lost Tracks Of Danzig won't change your opinion most likely. It's full of the band's classic evil blues sound, and doesn't really veer off that path. However, fans should still find several tracks on the 2 CDs that are as strong as classics like Devil's Plaything. Between the chugging, down-tuned guitar and the smooth delivery from Glenn Danzig, there is plenty to satisfy anyone who has been a fan of the band.

While not all of the tracks could be instant classics, there are a few that should get their fair share of attention. Satans Crucifiction (note: this was the spelling on the early CD version and the promotion material) has an excellent guitar line throughout and is a bit reminiscent of Twist Of Cain. The band also performs a solid, infectious cover of T. Rex's Buick Mckane worth checking out on the first CD. Glenn Danzig has been in the business a long time - even writing material for Johnny Cash. In fact, a song he wrote for Cash (Come To Silver) is performed acoustically on this latest release and proves Danzig has a lot more to offer than songs about the dark side.

Son_of_Kyuss
    Dear Mr. Kipling: Mastodon tune to drop B, and then one full step down from there. that's like Slipknot tuning. And everyone else can just chill, it's all a matter of personal taste and subjective opinion. They're good guys, read the Rebel Meets Rebel interview where the two guitarists get interviewed by Dave Grohl, it's a blast. Another thing is that I'm sure Mastodon don't give a shit about me not liking their band either, they're too busy worrying about the millions of fans they have all over the world. There are just other things I personally find more interesting and would rather listen to.
    recliner33
    Son_of_Kyuss wrote: Heavy music has an emotional pull to it, it's about mood, emotion and atmosphere, it's not just a bunch of people beating the shit out of down-tuned guitars and calling it heavy because there's screaming and really fast drumming behind it. Like I remember seeing Mastodon open for Iron Maiden on their Flashback tour. It sounded like that guy that makes the terradactill noise in Harold & Kumar was on lead vocals and everything was so down-tuned no one could make out one note these guys were playing the entire time. That's just loud, anyone can be loud, little kids are loud. It's good to see some proffessional musicians out there, like Danzig, focus enough on what they are doing people will still be listening to them 30 years later.
    Yeah I agree with you but I don't think mastadon suck that bad. I'm not a fan of mastadon really but I am sure their are alot worst metal bands out there then them. But Danzig is a legend in the metal, punk and rock worlds, I am definately digging all of his stuff from the misfits, samhain and danzig.
    mr kipling
    Madtodon only tune down one step.
    Murderface x3
    Dude, you speak the truth, except the part about Mastodon sucking. You must have caught them on an off night, cause when I saw them in San Antonio, they straight up owned. Oh, well. If you don't already have a Mastodon album, I strongly encourage you to get any one of them. Don't let that bad concert experience prevent you from liking such a great band. Anyway, Danzig rocks tits.
    llanafreak44
    Danzig is amazing, his s/t was amazing, and he WAS the misfits. The misfits suck nuts without him.
    any14doomsday
    don't badmouth mastodon man you don't know what your talking about, or maybe your just deaf, or maybe dumb. I haven't seen this in stores yet, I'm really interested in this as I love me some Danzig. Lucifudge is probably my favorite.
    Freku
    Can't wait to get this cd from post! i'm sure it's gonna be amazing! Glenn Danzig is awesome he started at age of eleven and still doing music!
    zerodeck
    Son of Kyuss, I couldn't agree more, Danzig hit me hard cause of the combination of blues and metal, and his voice has such a morrisonfeel to it, just wicked they never became wellknown, even yesterday I asked a rock'nrollveteran who was giving me a litany about rock and metal if he knew Danzig, he said he had heard of the name somewhere...
    Son_of_Kyuss
    Danzig has always had such a wicked twist on heavy music. Like my biggest beef with most modern metal is that so many people don't know the difference between heavy and loud. Heavy may be sonically loud at times, but it's all about the notes you don't play as much as it is about the notes you do play. Danzig has always been a man to make every note matter, as well as contain some emotional pull to keep the listener coming back. Anyone in Metal who can write songs for Johnny Cash and has Rick Rubin as his right hand-man, no shit the guys been around for 30 years.
    sim1
    Let me begin by saying I've been a HUGE Danzig fan since 1988, wow I'm really getting old, and I love the Lost Tracks. I've been listening to it and I'm already trying to figure out some songs. My faves so far are "Crawl Across Your Killing Floor", "Bound By Blood", "When Death Had No Name" and many more. It is well worth the money spent.