Twelve Year Silence review by Dark New Day

• Released: Jun 14, 2005
Dark New Day: Twelve Year Silence

Even though the Dark New Day is just about to release their first album, the critics already called it the all-star band of the new millennium. The members of the band already cut their teeth in such various acts as Sevendust, Tommy Lee band, Stuck Mojo, Stereomud, Skrape, Doubledrive, Creed and Virgos Merlot. The story of Dark New Day sounds like a beginning of a good novel. The guys literally grew up and learned how to play guitar together, sitting on the edge of their beds. Even though they went their separate ways and were playing in different bands, they still remained close friends. This band is the reunion that was twelve years in the making. Everyone in this band was a huge factor in the songwriting in their previous bands. That defined the sound of the band a lot. That music seems to be in the vein of the members of the band. The musicians are very skill-wise. Drums make the basis of rock-music and on this record that's a very good and solid basis. Drum parts are plain, as in rock in general, but not as simple as in Lenny Kravitz's songs. The band members themselves call Will Hunt a rock behind the drum kit. Hestla's soaring, effervescent vocals and shrill guitars that play above the tracks is what makes the specific sound of the band, which can be described as stoner-rock. Having two guitarists and five guys being able to lay down vocal harmonies, Dark New Day has a lot of potential.

The lyrics were written by Brett Hestla. That's the suffering-fighting style of writing lyrics. You know, I don't usually like when guys are moaning, even if they do it loud. But on this album you can hear the real pain that a man feels. It's good to realize that still there are bands, who have something else to say, except of "how much I love you." Hestla puts his heart and soul into very deep lyrics and that suits perfectly their soft-loud rock music. Some of the lyrics just come straight to your heart and find a response there, make you think about it. You know, far not all the lyrics make you think! In my opinion one of the best and unique features of the band are the multiple-vocals, which make the tracks sound deeper. That's one of the things that differs this band from other bands of that kind. I mean, that sounds awesome!

When I started listening to the album, the first song immediately made me think of the front picture ? I think that's a very cool idea to make a CD cover that reminds you of the music or some song in particular. That makes the album one story, not just a number of songs and pictures. At the beginning of "Taking Me Alive" I was like "Hm... piano?.. weird... but it's good! Why don't rock bands use piano more often on their records?" The band's first single "Brother" is one of the best songs on the album. That's the song that gets your attention the first time you hear it, due to the motion it has and multiple-vocals, which sound amazing on a rock record. On their first album the band put songs from the bitter, metallic muscle of "Lean," to the pensive, warm embrace of "Follow The Sun Down," which sounds like a good rock ballad with melodic infrastructure. Except of "Brother," "Follow The Sun Down" and catchy-tuned "Pieces," the songs seemed pretty much alike to me. Even though I can't say that the whole album is perfect, the collaboration of those musicians promise to be very fruitful. In the world that has endless terrorisms attacks, hurricanes and wars, rock music becomes angrier and angrier. Dark New Day may be the light at the end of the tunnel and may bring freshness into what became largely stale.