Character review by Dark Tranquillity

• Released: Jan 25, 2005
Dark Tranquillity: Character

Dark Tranquillity give us an intrest hybrid of industrial and metal. With heavy riffs, catchy key boarding, and deep lyrics, Dark Tranquillity is a band the deserves more recognition then they are getting. The music has a gothic feel to it mixing keys and guitar is an almost techno way but with out the annoying upbeat repation, and their singer is very good at growling even if that is all he does. I would like to hear a bit of singing on the record, cause some times you just need more the screaming and growling no matter how good.

While most metal bands write about killing, war, and goverment, Dark Tranquillity deep meaningful lyrics about who you are, and the lack of thoughts and feelings today. With lines like "Look at the shell that is you," "Minds matters not" and "I am who I am, no character lost inside," you have to wonder who Dark Tranquillity hasn't entered the metal main stream yet. Then the singers angry deep growl just adds to the emotion of this CD, and it all fits so perfectly.

Dark Tranquillity reminds me of a cross between Arch Enemy and the Matrix. If you like catchy riffs, angry vocals, and mabey a touch of electro then Dark Tranquillity is worth your time. "Am I 1?" is one of the best songs I have heard in a long time. If it got stolen I'd let who ever took it keep it. Not cause I don't like but cause I want more people to know about the wonder that is Dark Tranquillity.

BaxTurkey
    Ankou
    Great al-bum, picked it up by accident one day a long time ago, still kicks my ass whenever I put it on.
    Molodov
    Goood MDM. Gets a little bit repetitive, but for the most part its delicious.
    uberphreak
    Yeah, this is my favorite DT album. I was sad when I found out the concert DVD they have out doesn't contain tracks from Character because it was recorded before they wrote Character. Also, for those of you saying DT isn't credited enough or should get more recognition, they're pretty huge on the underground and are known as one of the Gothenburg Greats, along with In Flames and At The Gates, the latter of which is sadly no longer with us.
    rokket2005
    DT is my favorite band,,,,and this is the first cd of theirs I ever got,,,,,its still up in the air as to whether this or Damage Done is my favorite DT album.
    NosferatuZodd09
    great album but some of the songs fail to grasp me completely ... but my favorite tracks are the first five and dry run... and am i one perhaps XD... they're one of my favorite bands though
    ninjuice
    BaxTurkey wrote: These guys are great but the album before this has more singing and melodic parts. This one takes a little longer to appreciate but it is worth the time.
    Damage Done has not singing at all. This is my least favorite out of their last 4 albums