The Eternal Return review by Darkest Hour

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Darkest Hour: The Eternal Return

With a band such as death metal icons Darkest Hour, it's sure a great feeling to know right away that within first listen the band is back and still keeping it metal. With much anticipation, Darkest Hour has once again stunned the metal genre, and once again they leave their mark as one of the greats in the scene. Not only has their melodies gotten stronger, but their riffs are sharper, vocals more furious, guitar solos faster and crisper, and the band has found ways to give that music an epic and moving feel. But what remains the same is the fact that they still know how to master a strong song structure, and make the most out of it. They still keep those brilliant guitar tones that have continuously evolved into what the band is now. The Eternal Return opens up with Devolution Of Flesh, and right away Darkest Hour proves that they are back with a point to prove. Massive Swedish death metal riffs are counter attacked with some dark melodies, and that hard driven stomp that they create sure unleashes a ton of power. Darkest Hour comes right back with the memorable and fist pumping anthem of No God. From its opening strums to the band breaking into some razor sharp riffs, they sure bring all sorts of hell. The verses for example give that fast tempo melodic death metal that Darkest Hour has consistently shown a mastered force at, and when the guitars harmonize, the sound really shines bright. Not to mention that their new guitarist Mike Carrigan can shred, whether it's a guitar solo or unleashing a mighty riff. As the song progresses, blistering riffs and great guitar teamwork help drive this one full force. Darkest Hour closes The Eternal Return with Into The Grey. The intro gives strong victorious notes of melody that set up the beast to be let loose and ready to destroy. Suddenly fast paced Swedish death metal riffs giving both the catch and the respectable metal feel puts the listener into instant headbanging. Into The Grey takes many turns and they really let those melodies shine, but when the razor sharp death metal riffs are let loose, the band sure shakes the ground with their presence. All in all as the band has progressed up to this date, Darkest Hour's all around approach is more than a monster. It's an influential force to be remembered.

Vocalist John Henry's signature screams have made themselves recognizable as one of the main voices in metal, and the man continues to spread the message as if they were his last words. And he does it with such power and authority. I mean, upon hearing John Henr, you know Darkest Hour is coming. His delivery is even more furious, pissed off, and without a doubt, more determined. Lyrically, the album focuses on such subjects as life and death, but as always, Darkest Hour is helping to promote change, hope, and thinking for yourself. The Eternal Return has plenty of catchy sing along anthems that are both memorable and heavy as hell!

Darkest Hour has always been a band I've had the utmost respect for. Not just for sticking true to their guns since 1995, not just for consistently getting stronger after every release, but also for helping create an enormous gateway for metal bands that listeners may not have listened to if not exposed to a heavier side. On first impression, I could already tell that Darkest Hour's latest, The Eternal Return, is their strongest, heaviest, and innovative release to date. This is everything that you want to hear from Darkest Hour, plus more. With much watered down metal in today's scene, The Eternal Return is a great addition to help turn that around. And I believe this album is going to create influence, and hopefully bring the scene back to where it should be. And also keep in mind that Kris Norris is not present in The Eternal Return. It sure doesn't seem to matter, and that fact rarely crossed my mind while listening to the album from start to finish. The Eternal Return is definitely a CD to go out and buy, and Darkest Hour's future is going to continue to get stronger.

barge1
    they are goodcore. whatever. all that we know is that they arent as big as they should be and hopefully this album will push them to new heights
    MattAnderson111
    They are considered melodic death metal, but a good amount of songs off of every album just point at metalcore influence (Sound The Surrender - Doomsayer)
    macin
    that's what i thought as well. they are awesome that's for sure. I don't really care that much about genre's but i never considered them death metal, that's all i guess i learned something today :p
    jasterofpuppets
    their earlier releases had a more metalcore/thrash influence and starting on so sedated.... it really got into melo death
    Spoony_Bard
    The reviewer gave it an 8.3, but never pointed out a single flaw in the record. Regardless, picking this up today.
    Mass_debator
    metal4ever6328 wrote: this is the most bias review I have seen yet.
    racman92
    I love DH! I'm so glad they came out with a new one, and it F*ckin rocks. And does it really matter what -core they are?
    flyingjew34
    Mass_debator wrote: Anyone know if Devin Townsend produced this one? He made Darkest Hour sound SWEET!
    It was produced by Brian McTernan (according to the insert) This album is decent, but nothing more. It's not better than their past albums imo, but it's not bad either.
    a drummer
    Most of the people commenting on this morons. Yes DH is metalcore, but on a more political side. Calling tis whiny bullshit is ignorant. Listen to stand and recieve your judgment. And you true "metal" fan who are fretting this is considered death metal are dumb as well. It was a mistake from whoever reviewed this. This is metalcore at its finest, if thats even a complement.
    metallifreak77
    haha the name of the band alone brings to mind the tiresome metalcore stereotype. death metal? I doubt it, they may be experimenting with melo-death, but from what I can see this is not at all a death metal band.
    Lohnanmilitia
    yeah...This album still has a more metalcore feel to it, not that thats a bad thing for darkest hour. I thought the album wasnt to bad...the guys vocals just annoy me.
    Eternium
    Darkest Hour plays melodic death metal with a hardcore attitude. No other way to really describe the band and they don't sound like anything else.
    kellen.dobmeier
    Darkest Hour isn't Death Metal, numbnuts. They're not even melodic death metal. They're slightly thrashy metalcore, at best.
    vascoa7x
    i like it, but kris norris was better than the new one but the new one is also great. And DH isint death metal, its metacore you retardeds
    dudesandudes
    Eternium
    slayer1516 wrote: Gay trendy scene metal. Defiantly not death metal.
    This band has been around since 1995 and have stuck to the same general sound ever since. They are actually talented, play guitar solos, have good lyrics, and have no breakdowns, therefore having little in common with the trendy bands.
    jbridge90
    Listen UG, I love this band too, but getting on your knees getting ready to blow the big one isn't going to get you writing rep or anything. Just thought I would let you know
    Valo
    This album totally slays the piece of shit Killswitch released. It is just a carbon copy of their previous effort.
    barge1
    i dont understand how this could be called scene metal, because 1. no breakdowns 2. the dudes in the band are just normal dudes 3. there is no singing darkest hour is basically a bunch of americans who listen to way too much at the gates. end of story
    HavokStrife
    Rancid69Sublime
    #_of_the_beast wrote: darkest hour is not death metal
    Pretty_Much wrote: Stop the whole 'death metal' issue, it has been discussed, Jesus.
    lol #_of_the_beast just got wrecked
    Rancid69Sublime
    ibanez_freq_777 wrote: These guys ****ing suck! How can any reasonably sane individual even come close to calling this shit death metal. It's just some fag screaming and moaning cause his ****ing boyfriend left him. U know there's something wrong with the big picture if I'm only 21 and I'm already wondering what the **** is wrong with this generation. The saddest thing is none of you nutless baby-huey bitches had the balls to go against the pack and call this band what they so rightfully should be called, which is a bunch of Screamo pussies. That is all. Try not to slip in ur tears now kiddies.
    Like f***ing really?? i just love these mature musicians man. listen to the solo in Doomsayer or The Tide and then hoe them out. Its so rediculous how many close-minded musicians are, screaming is another way to express the emotion in a song, in this case it adds to darkest hour's epicness. So seriously man try to accomplish making an album like Deliver Us or Undoing Ruin and then talk S**T
    Rancid69Sublime
    btw decent album, kinda disappointed after Deliver Us, which is my personal favorite metal album. But ill be shocked if any metal CD tops Crack The Skye this year
    Reviewer Pete
    Mass_debator wrote: metal4ever6328 wrote: this is the most bias review I have seen yet. If you want decent reviewing from UG Team you have to wait for Reviewer_Pete at the end of the month. Alas. Anyone know if Devin Townsend produced this one? He made Darkest Hour sound SWEET!
    Thanks for the kind comment, but I'll let this one out of the bag early: I won't review Darkest Hour this month.
    LTDman90
    My experiance with this band was something that left something to be desired. They over reacted over something really stupid when I saw them at Summer Slaughter. The music was kinda cool, but didn't really fit the show, and the vocalist kinda pissed me off.
    Pookie6
    Jesus Christ i had no idea there was a new album coming out. Seems like just yesterday Deliver Us came out. I'll be checking it out for sure soon!
    KsE3234
    raidernixon
    Mike Carrigan is actually a great friend of mine...we went to high school together and still hangout when hes not busy with Darkest Hour. His old band, At All Cost, was pretty good as well. Hes an awesome dude and man can he ****ing play. He is the one who got me into music when I was much younger...I cant think of a better guy who deserves to be in this band as their new guitarist =). Rock on Mike!
    cjmenard
    Heeeey...guess what? You're acting like a child. I've been listening to metal since before you were able to understand what it was, so don't you DARE go accusing "this generation" of being a certain way when you don't even belong to this generation, you whiny little *****. I think the album is good. It's no So Sedated or Hidden Hands, but it's good. I very much prefer it to Deliver Us. No crappy singing.
    Rancid69Sublime
    i hate to post again..for like the 4th time.. but it just seems like they have become far less technical and melodic, i cant really find anything that makes me want to pick up a guitar like Deliver Us did, i miss kris...
    Schpudd
    anyone who says that it's nothing technical or melodic like kris did obviously hasn't heard the track 'No God' (that's 4th on the album for anyone too lazy) also anyone bringing in killswitch engage at the side of this, they both have different sounds. new producer. new guitarist. not bad - just different. anyone who's saying 'UHH ITS NOT OLD SKOOL METAL' or 'LOL ITS SCENE CRAP' stop being an idiot and listen to the music not the god damn fashion scene. it comes down to the old saying, if you dont like a song youre listening to - youre not listening to it right. or something along those lines. anyway im ranting. i actually dont care that much, i think the album's sick. and this way we get the kris norris project too.
    huevos
    HavokStrife wrote: Just so you know. I ****ing hate death metal, I think it's the weakest shit out there, perhaps worse than pop if it weren't for the masturbatory solos that I guess require some musicianship. I could do blastbeats with my dick and my foot and I'm not even a drummer. Whether you agree with me or not, Darkest Hour is one of my favorite bands making albums right now. So yeah.
    You've described about 80% of all extreme metal, be it black, death, thrash, or grind. Metalcore is just as bad, with obnoxious and overused breakdowns. Metal has been sliding into a marketable lifestyle, which all you troo mofos sponsor with pride. Clear Channel pop-music is absolutely horrendenous, mind you. It's rehashed BS over and over again. Not to say accessible tunes are bad, but they will always get overplayed.
    huevos
    slayer1516 wrote: Gay trendy scene metal. Defiantly not death metal.
    You prove my point. "Troo" metal kids are to the present music scene as "goth" kids were to the last generation. Anti-conformist and too cool for school.
    fuzzymunkee
    dudesandudes wrote: ibanez_freq_777...It kinda sounds like...just marinate on this for a second...YOU might have a part in what's wrong with this generation. Just let it sit in the backgound... BTW...what was the last album you put out?
    saturnus07
    I don't want to fool myself, i recognize is a really good album but not as strong or brilliant as the ones with Kris. Still worth buying
    The Tak
    It is a good album but i think the review was a bit too bias. The eternal return displays lots of originality with the ocasional recycled riffs and melodies but overall it is still very catchy, my favourite after undoing ruin and deliver us.
    Lohnanmilitia
    KsE3234 wrote: this album really blew me away, it was super super good. one of my favorites this year, still anticipating the August Burns Red and Killswitch Engage albums later on this month and next month
    Dude...the new killswitch owns this album a billion times over. I cant stop listening to it.
    Dregen
    I'm laughing at the faggot elitists bagging these guys just because someone accidentally called them death metal.
    shroomhound
    i knew the comments for this would be hilarious. i love how so many musicians waste their time hating stuff. it cracks me up. the older guys (who aren't even old) hate everything that the younger guys like. listening to them reminds me of getting a lecture from an old man in a pub - "back in my day music actually meaningful..." - and these people are only 20 something. retards. i quite like DH, but anyone who doesn't like what i like is a whiny emo goth faggot, lol.
    Illiad86
    oh noes...this is not death metal....once again I've been fooled... His voice is too...er...screamy. Death metal has the grunts and growls. *sigh* Why can't Kalmah's new album be out already