The Eternal Return review by Darkest Hour

• Released: Jun 23, 2009
Darkest Hour: The Eternal Return

This is the Darkest Hour fans have been waiting to here. If you were to take their greatest moments from their previous records, you would get The Eternal Return (the album title is a reference to them returning to their roots). And it really does sound like what you would get if you were to make an album of their 5 previous releases. The guitars are as tight as ever (although Kris Norris was replaced by Mike Carriga), the rhythm section keeps up the fast pace, and the vocals sound just as good as they've ever been. They do 'recycle' their sound every now and then (the harmony solo in "A Distorted Utopia" sounds similar to the one in "Fire in the Skies" and "Into the Grey" has a similar, slow intro like "Tunguska" had). The first half of the album has some great moments like "No God" and "The Tides" (with a sweet, minute-long solo in the middle). But to me, the album's second half is without a doubt the best part. Starting with "Blessed Infection" (which might remind you of their Mark of the Judas record) and ending heavily with "Into the Grey", the second half doesn't let up one bit. Darkest Hour have come into their own and are here to stay.

John Henry's voice has always been a driving force for Darkest Hour, and he probably figures "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Still growling about the decay of man and the world going to hell, he sounds just as good as he ever had. But if you're looking for more melodic singing like Deliver Us had, you won't be too happy with this record; Darkest Hour decided to take out the soft stuff, and go all out on this one. And that's what a lot of 'hardcore' fans probably wanted. It doesn't make much of a difference to me, just as long as they don't sing about emo stuff (like the new KSE) and keep the music heavy with sweeping solos.

At first, I thought it was a not-so-good Undiong Ruin/Hidden Hands, but that went away after a few more close listens. "No God", "Blessed Infection", "Black Sun", and "Into the Grey" are my favorites, but there's something for just about everybody on here (after all, it IS the best Darkest hour has to offer). Personally, this is up there in my top DH albums (with Hidden Hands and Deliver Us) and it won't disappoint many fans. My only issue with this is that there are no catchy songs (probably since the melodic singing went away) and that the CD is only 34 minutes long. But I was so pleased upon hearing this that I'm going to buy it the first chance I get. Highly recommended for all DH fans and any fan of metal with great guitar work. A solid release from a consistent metal band.

Octtwe88
    Darkest Hour is most likely my favorite band if I ABSOLUTELY HAD to choose one. And I found the album somewhat a little more boring than the previous 2 or more but its still way worth a listen. *cough*and not death metal*cough*
    Uncrrupt
    After a few listens I finaly got this record. Believe me .. IT GROWS. Faves: No God, Distorted Utopia, Trancendence
    Marsmallos
    As for the genre argument... They play metalcore you say, but without the breakdowns. The vocals are deeper then the common metal scream and are pretty similar to dark tranquillity. The guitar is very melodic. I would go for Melodic Death Metal in the vein of in flames/dark tranquillity
    guitarfreak1809
    NightEmbers
    guitarfreak1809 wrote: ive been following this band since they came out in 2000... there sound has been some of the best stuff that ive listened to, by far from there mark of the judas album to the eternal return they have dominated the death metal/melodic metal/ metalcore/ what so have you.... as a musician and song writer there music is some of the most advanced and well-written in the metal(and any sub-category)scene..... i believe kris norris had a great impact on how they developed there sound.. even though he is no longer part of the band..
    yeah he did but Dammit that guitar sounds are still so damn good... they have achieved a killer distinct tone that rapes my ears in a good way
    Arcdemon44
    all you pussies that think DH singing on Deliver Us was bad need to grow up, let bands do what they want, very good effort here
    death_unknown
    Their sound has evolved since Hidden Hands of the Sadist Nation. That cd is badass. Thrashy metal all the way thru. Undoing Ruin was more melodic death metal. But still badass. Deliver us had a couple descent songs on it. Kris Norris was ****en amazing. But Mike "Lonestar" Carrigan is awesome to. Hes a good replacement. He plays just as well live to as Kris Norris did. Solos are still there on The Eternal Return and theyre good. They stick to the At The Gates style with some some heaviness to it. The Eternal Return is an awesome cd.
    death_unknown
    And to Guitarfreak1809, they didnt come out in 2000. Theyve been around for almost 15 years now.
    Megalomaniac46
    I'm sick of people arguing over genres. I think we can all agree it's good music. Can't we just leave it at that :s
    hxckid666
    Darkest Hour rules thats all there is to it, By far best song on the new album is blessed infection. They are not screamo pussys they are very very seasoned and experienced musicians. Allthough i dont think its their best album it sure has some amazing song and solos and everything, i juust dont think the wholw album screams EPIC! like Deliver us did , on deliver us it seems like they really went all out to give it an amazing feel i didnt really hear to many epic melodic parts of songs that they had in delver us they would like use a wah pedal and a whole bunch of cool stufff that just gave it an amazin feel, but either way this new album does rule. No God and Blessed Infection are amazing!
    hxckid666
    OH and listen to the dual solo on Fire in the skies off Deliver us it brings tears to me eyes everytime.
    hxckid666
    Rancid69Sublime wrote: ibanez_freq_777 wrote: These guys ****ing suck! How can any reasonably sane individual even come close to calling this shit death metal. It's just some fag screaming and moaning cause his ****ing boyfriend left him. U know there's something wrong with the big picture if I'm only 21 and I'm already wondering what the **** is wrong with this generation. The saddest thing is none of you nutless baby-huey bitches had the balls to go against the pack and call this band what they so rightfully should be called, which is a bunch of Screamo pussies. That is all. Try not to slip in ur tears now kiddies. Like f***ing really?? i just love these mature musicians man. listen to the solo in Doomsayer or The Tide and then hoe them out. Its so rediculous how many close-minded musicians are, screaming is another way to express the emotion in a song, in this case it adds to darkest hour's epicness. So seriously man try to accomplish making an album like Deliver Us or Undoing Ruin and then talk S**T
    Actually listen the dual solo in fire in the skies it has brought tears to my eyes more than once! BU it son delver us tho
    castoo
    Darkest Hour is At the Gates #2 with a little thrash. Sorry to burst the bubble guys, but it's the truth