Transilvanian Hunger review by Darkthrone

• Released: Feb 17, 1994
Darkthrone: Transilvanian Hunger

This album has a very monotonous, dark, cold sound that exemplifies the mentality of the early 90's Norwegian black metal scene. Most songs are only made up of only about 3-5 riffs, and the drums pretty much play the same pattern for every song. This isn't a bad thing however, as it gives the album a unique, hypnotic feel to it that is reminiscent of early Burzum albums. The band takes a slightly more melodic approach to the songs on this album when compared to their previous black metal releases, "A Blaze In The Northern Sky" and "Under A Funeral Moon." Of course, the mandatory low-fi production is present here.

The lyrics on this album make a noticeable departure from the consistently Satanic lyrics on "Abitns" and "UAFM." The majority of the lyrics tend to be nature/fantasy based, which makes sense because Varg Vikernes (Burzum) wrote the lyrics for the last four songs on the album. The title track (Transilvanian Hunger), as if it really needs explanation, is about vampires. The lyrics mesh just fine with the melodies on this album: cold, raw, and dark. Nocturno Culto's vocal performance on this album is my favorite from Darkthrone's early 90's period, second to his vocals on "Abitns." The reason that album is better is because he had that great reverb sound for his vocals.

Darkthrone, along with the other black metal bands emerging from Norway in the early 90's, like Mayhem, Burzum, and Immortal, had their own unique sound. Some of my top song picks on this album are "Transilvanian Hunger," "Over Fjell Og Gjennom Torner," "I En Hal Med Flesk Og Mjod," and "Inn As I Dype Skogen." There is a great punk/Motorhead-ish riff on "I En Hal Med Flesk Og Mojod." The riff near the end of "Inn As I Dype Skogen" (you'll know it when you hear it) is definitely the best on the album in this reviewer's humble opinion.

witchfinder
    shroomhound wrote: my friend keeps trying to convince me to listen to this s h i t more. i have listened to so much of it and i just don't think i understand black metal although i love all other metal. or maybe i'm just smarter than a lot of people and can see through bulls h i t better. hard to say really.
    i think its the first one
    shredtildeath
    It's the first one. It's true the riffing is monotonous, but it makes for an atmospheric listening experience.
    shroomhound