Transilvanian Hunger review by Darkthrone

• Released: Feb 17, 1994
Darkthrone: Transilvanian Hunger

First track Transilvanian Hunger starts of with a low-fi recorded riff that just is so powerful, about 30 seconds in the song Nocturno starts to scream. I have never in my life heard anything like this...its so raw! but still so good. Some people claims that "Transilvanian Hunger" is some of the worst Darkthrone albums because the low production but I disagree.

The lyrics for track 1-4 are written by drummer Fenriz and he is truly someone who can put pseudonyms, rhymes and meaning in a good song. For example: "So Pure... So Cold Transilvanian Hunger Hail to the True, intense vampires A story made for Divine fulfillment To be the ones breathing a Wind of Sorrow Sorrow and fright the dearest catharsis Beautiful Evil Self to be the Morbid Count A part of a Pact that is delightfully immortal" rest of the song 5-8 is written by "Varg Vikernes" or known as "Burzum" who can write great lyrics to..but Fenriz are unbeatable here! Nocturno's singing style is good actually, but maybe not on these recordings..but like I said, that's the way I like it.

Transilvanian Hunger was a major influence on the norwegian black metal scene, along with Mayhems "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and Burzums "Aske" The best songs on the album is definetly: Transilvanian Hunger, En s I dype skogen and Over fjell og gjennom torner. I love the prodction, the fast riffs and the awesome album cover, all in all..its just an amazing album. If it was stolen, I would definitely buy it again!

Jøhnny
    Angel Of Sin wrote: The title Transilvanian Hunger is actually a tribute to Dead from Mayhem apparently
    Orly? Have you seen the cover of the Mayhem album Live in Leipzig...? Oh well, this is a great album, but seriously, the first review is horrible, one of the worst I've ever seen...