Dusk And Summer review by Dashboard Confessional

• Released: Jun 27, 2006
Dashboard Confessional: Dusk And Summer

In the past, Chris Carrabba moved us with his heartfelt melodies and signature acoustic sound. In Dusk And Summer, Dashboard Confessional gives us something to move to. There's a noticably heavier rock feeling to this new album that includes more guitar work (especially by lead player Jon Lefler) and a thicker bass line. the harmony in the backing voices has also become a lot more present than in any other record. On the album, there are a few risky songs like "Slow Decay" and "Reason To Believe" in which the band takes a more punk-rock route; something they've had no experience with. The previous albums are quiet and feature simple acoustic sounds. The switch to a full band performance surrounded Chris with great compliments. His emotions are carried by more than his vocals, but by the entire band. you all know dashboard toured with U2 these past years and it definitely shows through in this album. They learned well from one of the kings of rock and roll.

Chris Carrabba may be one of the greatest lyric writers there is. Most of his songs are vintage Carrabba; heartfelt and poetic. In "Slow Decay", however, the bridge features some disturbingly dark lyrics with references to killing, and it's sung like a screamo artist. The way Dashboard Confessional performs the lyrics really makes them shine. from pitch perfect harmonizations to executing the high notes, they really deliver a sensational album.

The new album is exotic; definitely unlike anything they've done before. The sound is a lot different. Dashboard went from being the Chris Carrabba show to a stunning band performance. It's different, but it's definitely something welceomed.

[NIN]_ROCK!
    Great album, really! My fav song is "So Long, So Long" because it has a great piano work and Adam Duritz sings with Chris in a very melodic and deep misture of voices.Just love it!
    nwb_senior
    and whats the difference if there emo . they write amazing music. i wish all of you people fighting about whether their emo or not would just let it role.
    CTR11790
    I used to be in love with DC, but it's not the same anymore. The Swiss Army Romance and Places were amazing. In A Mark, DC began its transition to a more mass-appealing sound. With Dusk and Summer, it's clear to see that the Chris many of us knew is dead. Now they're just another money-making powerpop band. Thanks Chris.
    BumOffBarney
    I have no idea what was up with that CTR11790 but I'm guessing it was technical problems. Press Ctrl+f5 after you post, its a bug of sorts. I deleted your other 4 posts for ya.
    primusfan
    Checked.
    Burn in hell wrote: I'm pretty much convinced that this band is a joke... Could someone attempt to convince me otherwise??
    Warned.
    funkynasoo
    Zenrid wrote: I was at there concert last night. I thought that Vindicated started everytime any song started. Chris' voice is so peircing that my ears almost started to bleed. They finally played vindicated 2nd last and that was the only song that ive ever heard from them. City and Colour opened for Dashboard so thats why I was there.
    poor you vindicated is one of the worst. i just downloaded the album coz im skint and its ok not as good as there earlier stuff though
    nwb_senior
    ilove dashboard alot, there my favourite band. i like this album, but, i miss the acoustic alot. i think there gonna lose alot of fans if they stick with the constant full band stuff.
    tambourine_man
    What's with all this hyphenated-genre type of stuff? Emo or not emo? Post Softcore or Pop-Rock? Why can't be a man writing music?
    Zenrid
    dieloony
    ^ cuz hes writing music that fits in those catagories. hes not very original...
    CTR11790
    dieloony wrote: ^ cuz hes writing music that fits in those catagories. hes not very original...
    Not anymore, anyway.
    deantrantham111
    How is this compared to "a mission, a mark...", is it as poppy, not the biggest fan of his last one but i'm interested in getting this one.
    Learn_to_fly
    this album is their most unoriginal album yet, they've moved away from their trademark sound that got me into them. does that mean that this is album isn't goood? OF COURSE NOT!!!
    popa186
    i defantily agree with alot of you. i miss the acoustic stuff. and it dosnt have as much of that dashboard feel to it. but it still is a great album.
    curli95
    he is so right about the song "So Long, So Long". It would have been way better without the other guy.
    rakimaki
    dashboard is an amazing band and chris is an amazing singer/songwriter. his voice may be described by some of you as "piercing" but to me its simply passionate and it adds to the bands appeal for me. their songs are still heartfelt and sincere and in no way have they conformed to the media or anything else. although they have strayed away from the acoustic feel, chris has always been the type to try new things and i will continue to support him and the rest of the band, especially considering the fact that the cd is GREAT.
    eli_yates
    thats some ignorant statement. lets be honest if you read chris' lyrics they are so much more original than most anything youve read hes so poetic about everything and has a smooth way of stating everything you can sit there and say that hes not original or you can be honest with yourself and the world and say that chris is original and other artists copy his style of songwriting. either way hes a fantastic and original songwriter. with a unique delivery.
    Woo!Yay!
    Adam Duritz and Chris Carrabba, wow, i've gotta get this, thanks guys!
    ihop_08
    I think review one said it best. You can't help bu not to please everyone. It's the artist's expression, not yours. Not perfect, but still an amazing album. (I am a huge fan of the acoustic. That's my only complaint.)
    DramaHippie
    Love love love Dashboard. I like that they added to the more acoustic sound of the last album, with the keyboards and more guitar. Chris Carrabba doesn't dissapoint! =]
    Colester
    They definatley lost something with alot less acoustic guitar. The acoustic was the best part. Though this album was pretty good.
    mattman11362
    the lyrics feel so fake. there is no charm. the production is very jessica simpson-ish. they used to be my favorite band - but not after this pile of dung.
    TeenBite
    I must say, I'm not a big fan of Chris' singing. His high notes go REALLY strained, and his voice is way more cracked than an "acoustic" singer's voice should be.
    relientkrock
    I agree
    honkey
    It has nothing to do with being acoustic, or rock, or electronic, or whatever. This whole album just seems like force-fed corporate rock music.
    dr.doctor
    if you don't like the absence of acoustic you could always wish for some unplugged version coming out or something.
    drmmrboi
    didnt he say he was gonna be, like, less emo...? cuz thats y i think his sound changed a lil.i think hes still emo tho. i defintely liked earlier work better. but its still good. and i still love his singing. but the only one ive really grown to love right now is dont wait.
    JadeFalcon5
    favorite song for me would beeee Dusk and Summer, or so long so long, i can reallllly relate to dusk and summer though
    dr.doctor
    i think swiss army romance and all the stuff he did in that liking was emo. i was always took that as emo a long time ago. people think too much of that crap going around now with the slitting wrists and crap in the media and taking it as emo.
    jadedxandxemo
    ObscuredByLight : no, they arent emo. theyre more pop rock than anything. i agree, they're not emo, emo is like rites of spring or antioch arrow, its really awesome music, but emo's dead... dashboard's good too
    fattyDQ
    It's strange to me, it just wasn't what i was expecting at all. The acoustic feel and lyrical feel that they once had just seems....different. I don't know. I'm not too impressed, maybe I just need a few more listens
    D.C. Jon
    Yea I was going to say the same. However, the feel is not gone in a negative aspect I mean overall I love this CD. Thank you to those of you saying that DC is not emo. When I first saw a review in AP I believe, I could not understand why they would say such a thing.
    rocknrolldogs
    Every song on this album is easy listening and you truly start to feel the greatness with Stolen,So long So long and the acustic number.(IDK I forgot the name of it.)The only thing to complain about is not all the songs are great and it's a little too soft. 7/10 P.S. I see some peeps complain about the lyrics? The lyrics are poety enough at least compare to what else is out there these days.