So Impossible review by Dashboard Confessional

• Released: Dec 18, 2001
Dashboard Confessional: So Impossible

The lead guitar on this album is absolutely amazing, it is played by former Sunny Day Real Estate guitarist Dan Horner, and it is entirely and utterly beautiful. It just flows with the rythym guitar so well and makes the entire experience so much more satisfying. Even to a non guitarist this album's guitar pieces must sound exquisite. There are no drums, or bass in this album, just two acoustic guitars, and two vocalists. With no drums or bass this album is still entirely amazing, it flows so well, with both singers being tenors it just dances across the treble clef like a brilliant dance. The entire cd is a story. It is comprised of four songs, all which contribute to one main story. 01. For You To Notice - a note, or talk begging to be noticed, basically mildly pouring his heart out to the girl some how, wanting to be noticed, wanting to be hers, "waiting for you to want me, for you to need me, for you to notice me." 02. So Impossible - the girl replies wonderfully, asking the boy out somewhat, a conversation of some sorts, first the girl asks the boy some questions to get to know him, and asks him to a party, then the boy retorts saying yeah that's cool, then stops his nonchalantness asking the girl questions, of a deeper stand point, basically asking the girl, "do you like what I like, and do you like me?" 03. Remember To Breathe - before the first date, before the party waiting anxiously, frantically searching for what to wear, entirely anxious and scared. Then the boy says to himself " Wait, wait. Remember she asked you. Remember to breathe." 04. Hands Down - the party, he's chilled out and ready to go, and they both hit off, going into a sweet chorus, then thoughts of getting some, then walking home and explaining how this was the best day the boy has ever had (a true story from chris - the lead singer and rytyhm guitarists - life). This version is a lot different than the one on "A Mark." As you can see the entire album complements one story, and leaves you waiting for the fifth chapter to come. Is it really Rapid Hope Loss?, or maybe Carry this Picture, we may never know.

The lyrics tell a story, and do not go off topic at all. They all contribute to the one main story of how two people got together. The lyrics go perfectly with the music, but what I do not like it Chris's weak high notes. His weak high notes are the only things in this cd that are contradictory to perfection in musically telling tales. Other than his high notes going weak, both singers are extremely talented, and smooth. The sound goes wonderfully with everything about the album in a way that you feel you just watched a wonderfully romantic movie, or read a romantic book. Their voices flow like silk, smooth sultry and sincere.

This is arguably one of their better albums despite the small amount of songs. It is more sincere and smooth than The Places, while more laid back and loving than A Mark, more polished than Summers Kiss, and much more polished then Drowning. The most impressive song from the album is So Impossible, they way it flows, the way it sounds, the entire make up of this song is wonderful. I love most everything about the music, and lyrics, except for the weak high notes. I hate that there's no fifth chapter, leaving it open for question, but maybe it's just a way to make people buy their records. Leave them waiting for more. If it were stolen I would most definitely buy it again, it is such a unique cd in the way that it tells its own story, it is just exquisite.