So Impossible Review

Dashboard Confessional: So Impossible
Released: Dec 18, 2001
Genre: Rock
Styles: Emo, Indie Rock
This four-song EP depicts young love and the anxiety and inquisitions that follow. It also marks the debut of Sunny Day Real Estate's Dan Hoerner.
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
So Impossible Reviewed by: ivegot_acat, on november 15, 2004

Sound: The lead guitar on this album is absolutely amazing, it is played by former Sunny Day Real Estate guitarist Dan Horner, and it is entirely and utterly beautiful. It just flows with the rythym guitar so well and makes the entire experience so much more satisfying. Even to a non guitarist this album's guitar pieces must sound exquisite. There are no drums, or bass in this album, just two acoustic guitars, and two vocalists. With no drums or bass this album is still entirely amazing, it flows so well, with both singers being tenors it just dances across the treble clef like a brilliant dance. The entire cd is a story. It is comprised of four songs, all which contribute to one main story. 01. For You To Notice - a note, or talk begging to be noticed, basically mildly pouring his heart out to the girl some how, wanting to be noticed, wanting to be hers, "waiting for you to want me, for you to need me, for you to notice me." 02. So Impossible - the girl replies wonderfully, asking the boy out somewhat, a conversation of some sorts, first the girl asks the boy some questions to get to know him, and asks him to a party, then the boy retorts saying yeah that's cool, then stops his nonchalantness asking the girl questions, of a deeper stand point, basically asking the girl, "do you like what I like, and do you like me?" 03. Remember To Breathe - before the first date, before the party waiting anxiously, frantically searching for what to wear, entirely anxious and scared. Then the boy says to himself " Wait, wait. Remember she asked you. Remember to breathe." 04. Hands Down - the party, he's chilled out and ready to go, and they both hit off, going into a sweet chorus, then thoughts of getting some, then walking home and explaining how this was the best day the boy has ever had (a true story from chris - the lead singer and rytyhm guitarists - life). This version is a lot different than the one on "A Mark." As you can see the entire album complements one story, and leaves you waiting for the fifth chapter to come. Is it really Rapid Hope Loss?, or maybe Carry this Picture, we may never know. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics tell a story, and do not go off topic at all. They all contribute to the one main story of how two people got together. The lyrics go perfectly with the music, but what I do not like it Chris's weak high notes. His weak high notes are the only things in this cd that are contradictory to perfection in musically telling tales. Other than his high notes going weak, both singers are extremely talented, and smooth. The sound goes wonderfully with everything about the album in a way that you feel you just watched a wonderfully romantic movie, or read a romantic book. Their voices flow like silk, smooth sultry and sincere. // 10

Overall Impression: This is arguably one of their better albums despite the small amount of songs. It is more sincere and smooth than The Places, while more laid back and loving than A Mark, more polished than Summers Kiss, and much more polished then Drowning. The most impressive song from the album is So Impossible, they way it flows, the way it sounds, the entire make up of this song is wonderful. I love most everything about the music, and lyrics, except for the weak high notes. I hate that there's no fifth chapter, leaving it open for question, but maybe it's just a way to make people buy their records. Leave them waiting for more. If it were stolen I would most definitely buy it again, it is such a unique cd in the way that it tells its own story, it is just exquisite. // 10

So Impossible Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 07, 2006

Sound: Just for the record, Dashboard Confessional is in my personal oppinion the best band in thier genre. So Impossible may have been an EP, but it left a huge impact. "For You to Notice..." was a very well complexed sound. The sound of the guitar and Chris Carrabba's voice was completely incredible. It really brought out the point of an real emo person. The second song "So Impossible" is pretty good. I didn't enjoy it as much as I did the first song, but it continued a story musically and lyrically. It's one of those songs that doesn't really have a chorus, but it's good anyways. "Remember To Breathe" was the smash for the center of the album. It didn't have such good vocals as the last song on the cd. "Hands Down" was of course the best song off of that cd (until it got popular and it was everywhere). That is why they did a full band version for the cd "A Mark, A Mission, A Brand, A Scar." The entire cd can be described in two words, purley emo. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically, this is the best rhythm I've ever heard lyrically. It defenately follows a storyline. It starts with him being all scared to ask her out. Then in the second song, he does finally ask her out. In the third song, they break up (I wonder what was in between going out and breaking up. Maybe just a coffee break). The last one doesn't really tie into the rest but it's awsome so I like it anyway. Chris Carrabba is a purely genious writer. // 10

Overall Impression: Over all, this cd shows the true Dashboard Confessional. I'm not talking the one who wrote a bunch of happy songs off of the new cd, I'm talking about the old stuff. I mean the stuff with just a sad kid and a guitar (I accidentally just discribed me after I just broke a string). It is true emo. Chris Carrabba, you have made all of us kids with broken hearts out here happy, and I am proud of you. // 10

Comments