The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most review by Dashboard Confessional

• Released: Mar 20, 2001
Dashboard Confessional: The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most

The rebellious indie sounds of Chris Carrabba's second LP, "The places you have come to fear the most", are crisp and full. And though the album did not spur any huge hits, it did establish Chris' status as a solo artist. With the help of a board of excellent guitarists, drummers, and bassits, Chris was able to compile a collection of songs that hit you somewhere deep in the heart. A strong momentum flows through the album, and energy left out on later releases; one of unkempt anger and depression, with a suprisingly happy twist. However, it was the sometimes lonely solo acoustic guitar accompanied only by Chris' sweet, breathy voice that really blew me away on this album.

The composition of lyrics on the album was smart, a bit risky, and a little out of reach. While they could have been difficult for a younger crowd of listeners to grasp, there is a moment for each individual when the angsty, too-honest lyrics suddenly begin to make sense. Unfortunately, this moment is not usually the best moment of our lives. Missing love, missing happiness, being strewn apart from the people and things that really matter in our lives. But that, in a way, is also the appeal of the lyrics. The small stories residing in each track are reminiscent, and hopeful. And the music fits it well in each individual song. You would not doubt a person feeling that way would sing in such a manner. Overall, the skillfully written lyrics, more poems, in truth are one of the best parts of the album. I beleive that if taken the time to listen to, they will surely be appreciated by anyone willing to ponder their meanings. One stanza in saints and sailors captures the main feel of the album quite well actually: "Wandering this house/Like I've never wanted out/And this is about as social as I get now./And I'm throwing away the letters that I am writing you/'cause they would never do,/I would never do, never."

The places you have come to fear the most is strewn with ingenious quirks and plays on words, bright symbolism and most importantly, a gorgeous sound. 'Screaming Infidelities', 'The Places You Have Come To Fear The Most' (title track), and again I go unnoticed are sure to 'wow' you again and again. I can't say there's anything displeasing about the album however. I would buy it again in an instant, even if there was nothing wrong with it.

blindinglight
    First time listening to emo?? I feel your pain, man. Listen to some more dashy and some snow patrol. They're my favorites! [even though I wouldn't call either of these 'emo'... lol, more indie]
    stumaster18
    By far the greatest album Dashboard has ever released. Every song is single-worthy in my mind. Every song is an anthem. Chris is BRILLIANT with words.
    think11270
    This album and the swiss army romance are two the most influential albums I've ever heard. His lyrics are straight to the point and the guitar playing is super creative and melodic. I wish he spent more time on Dusk and Summer and Under the Shade of the Poison trees. Chris' older work is so much better, I just know he can do better than what he's putting out now.