The Shade Of Poison Trees review by Dashboard Confessional

• Released: Oct 2, 2007
Dashboard Confessional: The Shade Of Poison Trees

With the Shade of Poison Trees, Chris Carrabba works his magic again. This time around the sound of the album returns more to Dashboard Confessional's earlier sound working with more acoustic sounds, but it does incorparate Scott Schoenbeck John Lefler and Mike Marsh as it has in earlier albums. TIf Dusk and Summer and The Places That You Have Come to Fear the Most had a child it would be The Shade of Poison Trees.

As typical with Dashboard Confessional the lyrics shine on this album. Chris really knows how to weave a intricate web of lyrics to complement his music with his soft but powerful voice. The lyrics are deep and well thought out, they force you to really think about it all.

Overall this is a very solid album as it offers something for fans of their earlier acoustic sound and their later fuller indie sound. Some of the songs flow seems awkward but I might just have to listen to it a couple more times. Some of the most impressive songs on the album are Where There's Gold, Thick as Thieves, The Shade of Poison Trees, and the moving ending to the album The Widows Peak. My only complaint about this album is that it seems to go by very quickly but other than that a commendable job.

fallingforever
    Mostly agree with the review. I don't know about comparing it as the child Dusk and Summer and The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most. Reminded me of early dashboard, with mostly upbeat lyrics.
    adslam3
    ive listened to this about 3 to 4 times now (between the real cd and his stream of the cd on his myspace page) and it's definitely good. the fans of older dashboard will be pleased!!