Visions For The Celestial Review

Datura: Visions For The Celestial
Released: Jan 1, 1999
Genre: Stoner Rock/Psychedelic Rock/Stoner Doom
Label: Cranium Music
"Visions For The Celestial" is the second album by stoner/psychedelic band Datura, released in 1999. If you really like the mix of heavy riffs and psychedelic trips, I recommend you to check this out, now. You will be amazed by this album.
 9.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Visions For The Celestial Reviewed by: iommi600, on february 16, 2012

Sound: "Visions For The Celestial" is the second album by stoner/psychedelic band Datura, released in 1999. Datura was formed by the end of the 90's, and its line-up consisted of Craig Williamson (bass, vocals), Brent Middlemiss (guitar) and Jon Burnside (drums). This is one amazing album. You can hear some really stoner/doom-oriented heavy riffs, a wah being insanely raped all the time, and a simple, but strong rhythm section. Songs here are really slow-paced (except for "Reaching Out") and kinda long (the longest one is "Mantra", with its 15 minutes of pure psychedelia trip), and if you really like this mix of heavy riffs and psychedelic trips, I recommend you to check this out, now. You will be amazed by this album. In my opinion, this is one of the best "hard psych" albums I've ever heard. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrics on this album talks about unreal things/hallucinations/trips. They're pretty crazy, but that's something you can expect in a genre called "Stoner" rock, no? And it fits perfectly in the band's sound, which is something really crazy. Craig Williamson's voice here is nothing like something "overflowing techniques", I have to admit, but I don't really care and love it. It's really trippy, so, it's another perfect complement to the band's style. // 8

Overall Impression: Well, that's it. Like I've said before, if you like this "hard psych" mix and haven't listened to this album yet, go listen to it now. You will be just amazed. Also check for Arc Of Ascent and Lamp Of The Universe, which are other bands formed by Craig Williamson. You will probably like them too. But, speaking of this album here, I would say that "Magnetise", "Reaching Out" and "Mantra" are the best ones. It's awesomeness enough to burst you into space for a little more than half an hour! But honestly, I think this album is really perfect. I would really make a sausage with the meat of anyone that tries to steal this from me, because it's one amazing album and it was pretty hard to find the CD. But seriously, this is amazing, and I recommend all interested in hard psych/stoner to check it out. // 9

Comments