Daughtry review by Daughtry

• Released: Nov 21, 2006
Daughtry: Daughtry

It will take a while for Chris Daughtry to loose the label of "American Idol Rocker". But this album goes a long way to help all of that. Daughtry captures the same sound that can be compared to Matchbox Twenty, the Goo Goo Dolls, and even Nickelback. Unlike Bo Bice, Daughtry is legit. He made a damn good rock record with the help of Brent Smith of Shinedown, who co-wrote with him, and Slash even lended a hand laying down a solo for "What I Want". If this album is any indication of what Chris Daughtry is capable of, he will have a great career.

Daughtry wrote or co-wrote all but two songs on the album. The songs range anywhere from heartache (It's Not Over, Used To, Breakdown, and What About Now) to love (Feels Like Tonight, Crashed, and What I Want) to good old fashon rock and roll (There and Back Again, and Over You). The best song on the album is "Home", which Daughtry wrote before the success of Idol. It turned out to be a prophetic song about the lonliness of being away from his family. The vocals on the album are amazing. The lyrics are good. Nothing that will make you scratch your head and think about, but very good none the less. He has a very unique voice that sets him apart from many others. He can go very low with a gravel in his voice and reach up and hit the high notes as well.

Thank God he didn't win American Idol, or this album may never have shaped up as well as it did. He is not a pop guy trying to do rock. He's rock and roll all the way. The only downfall of the album is that he assembled his band after the album was recorded, so he has studio musicians playing instead of his new bandmates. But, you still get a great feel of what he wants to accomplish with his band. A funny note is the CD cover itself. Everyone is blurred out except Chris Daughtry, ala Stillwater in the movie Almost Famous.

MichaelFred
    I'm definitely not a fan of American Idol, but this album is amazing. I'm not ashamed to admit that. It's the best album I have listened to for a long long time. Chris' voice is just incredible, he is capable to sing heavy songs like 'There and Back Again' (my favourite) and power ballads like 'What About Now' - not many rock singers can do that. I really recommend this album. At least give it a try.
    Michelle74
    The only people who say it's not a good album are Taylor Hicks fans. As if it matters, that cheeseball impersonator can hang the AI champ trophy in his bathroom. The farther away from anything AI related that Daughtry can get the better. We know a rockstar in the making when we hear one. This is an unbiased review, pay attention and get the Daughtry CD. Here, at ultimate guitar, there are no crappy american idol fanbase games just love for good music.
    Emma_Loves_Cops
    Great review.... almost makes me wanna go out and buy it.... Maybe i will I love that song he has out "Its Not Over" F***in great song!
    mrgbjt
    Social Chaos
    So I got this CD for Christmas, and I have to say i'm impressed with the fact that he wrote almost all his own stuff! 'There and Back Again' is my favorite it rocks. Rock on!
    Kiotaka
    I've never been an idol fan, but I watched this guy and he's the only one with talent. I picked up this to support him because he had the balls to do his own stuff. He's got talent, and I hope he go's far
    Kiotaka
    markdirt wrote: This is one of the worst albums ever.
    By the way markdirt, your a f***ing retard!
    Kiotaka
    mrgbjt wrote: This is an outstanding CD. I'm glad this guty didn't win AI. If he would have, he would not have had the freedom to create the music that's on this CD. Every song has a good hook and his voice in incredible!
    Amen, his freedom to write his own stuff is why he's doing good