Leave This Town review by Daughtry

• Released: Jul 14, 2009
Daughtry: Leave This Town

Daughtry's Self-Titles Debut Album was certainly something which had to be followed up with something that was along the same lines. Daughtry have been able to accomplish the Heavy Rock Songs as well as doing very good work with Soft Acoustic Songs. The Album seems to be about leaving somebody, and mixed emotions about leaving, 'You Don't Belong', 'Ghost of Me', 'Call Your Name' all express different feelings toward the same subject. Daughtry have used different aspects of the band as a whole to come out with different songs which are still as good as songs of the last album. I think that the songs have all accomplished something different, not bad, but different. The verses have been mixed but then join together brilliantly for the chorus.

The Lyrics are brilliant and meaningful. You can tell this from the songs 'Life After You', unlike most recent releases of albums, the lyrics are just whatever rhymes, they are words that are felt. The song 'September' has got brilliant lyrics about how he is remembering someone and what they did, 'In the middle of september, we still played out in the rain, Nothing to lose but everything to gain, Reflecting now on how things could've been, It was worth it in end'. The Lyrics fit perfectly with guitar. The range from Fingerpicking songs to power chords, they comply brilliantly with the lyrics and they sound amazing. Chris Daughtry has reached amazing lengths on this new album, mainly able to tell on the song 'Call Your Name' where he extends his vocals to reach the high pitches and not just the lower octaves.

I would compare this album to 'All the Right Reasons' by Nickelback, in the way that it has been able to pull off slow guitaring songs and also be able to be just as graceful in getting to the heavier rock fans with metal riffs. The songs that most impressed me on this album are 'Life After You', 'September', 'Learn My Lesson' and 'Call Your Name'. All of these songs are making good use of his voice and his skills as a guitarist. I am not as impressed with the lack of Soft songs alike to the previous album with songs 'Home', 'Over You', 'All These Lives', but my opinion of their ability to be able to get across a Heavier songs. In a way it's gone 50/50. I like both of their styles now, this album is definitely one to own. I would buy it as many times as I could. A must have.

taytay8b
    PopPunkPotHead
    It's another album full of pop hooks. It feels to me like a kelly clarkson album with daughtry singing. If 4/4 pop/rock is you're thing i'm sure this is worth a try. I like the songs "what i'm meant to say" and "no surprise". the radio will eat this shit up.
    j-shizzledude
    Great album....I missed the point where it's wrong to hate music lots of people like...but whatever...oh and Alter Bridge is great too.
    StandAlone1776
    ajreciever14 wrote: i think ug'ers hate this cuz it aint metal thats all. i personally like it. especially "no surprise"
    No, it's because it's boring and generic.
    Andragon
    Nah, brah. It's because half of it sounds like each other as well as most radio rock. On topic, Tennessee Line is pretty good. Otherwise, an album that lacks enough edge or uniqueness.
    ajreciever14
    Slash Jr.
    It has it's high points and has its low points. Has a few good songs that rock but has a few that make me wonder. It's obviously a VERY talented band, Chris is a great singer. Not as good as their first but nearly every band goes through this with a highly anticipated second album.
    FlyingPirahna
    taytay8b wrote: This album is a MAJOR disappointment compared to their first one. It's not even really good, to be honest. This album should not be compared to Nickelback's ATRR, simply because that album is WAY better. There's no having fun with this CD, it's just straight-forward downer music the whole way through. At least you can have some fun with Nickelback music, especially on that album.
    You must have hated the 90s then.
    SMITH05
    Really UG? Daughtry? I thought you guys were better than this. Sigh.
    luis_c
    The album is really good. It has a different sound to Daughtry's debut album. The bonus tracks such as "On The Inside", "What We Have Become" and "Traffic Light" highlight the different sound of this album. "On The Inside" is clearly Nickelback-like, and the lead single "No Surprise" was co written by Chad Kroger. Personally, "Supernatural" is a standout track.
    staind_dust87
    THis time around, chris and his band did most of the song writing, unlike the last album that ballads writen by other prople. So, this is probably what he wanted the first ablum to sound like but the producers wanted to put a lot of pop songs on it to make sure he had a lot of top 40 hits. This album is a rock album, its not all over the place like the last one. if u dont like this record, then you probably arent really a real daughtry fan cuz i doubt hes ever gonna have anymore songs like the first ablum. Rock on chris!
    mlukeroberts222
    I didn't like the first one so I wasn't surprised when I heard this album and it sucked. Best song to me is the opening track "You Don't Belong," probably because it's the heaviest track on the cd. The intro to the song gives you hope for the album, but the album mellows out and becomes the same old B.S. mainstream bubblegum rock.
    soulxstlr
    Honestly, I have been a fan of his since his auditions at Rockstar Supernova... This album is alright, it can be very mellow and you can definitely tell that other people wrote these songs. Is it better than his first album? No, but as for almost any band, the second album is the hardest...
    Alice2Mudgarden
    It's a band formed from American Idol haha. Daughtry is one of the most mediocre, boring rock bands out there. None of their lyrics or their music stand out or are notable.
    Rockinguitar
    I knew I'd be disappointed by Daughtry's new album so I decided long ago to stay away when it came out. Knew I should've kept to that...
    papersun87
    Listened through it twice with my friend yesterday. We agree . . . an okay, not great, album. Smacks too much of other songwriter's influence. And he hardly ever stops singing at a hundred miles an hour on the album.